[comp.graphics] Basics of raytracing

sjankows@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Mr Booga (detonate)) (10/13/88)

  I have a request similar to Randy Ray's (Raytracing introduction).  I am
starting a project in parallel raytracing using a Sequent Balance 8000 and
a couple of color Sun 3's running X.  I have virtually exhausted the
local resources on raytracing and am in need of basic ray tracing algorithms
and simple optimization algorithms.  There are several sources in particular
I would like:

   SIGGRAPH '86 Ray Tracing Course Notes  (Mark T. V. references these in
his PD ray tracer)
   ACM Transactions on Graphics, July 1988.  There was an article on
"Ray Tracing in a parallel/distributed processing environment" (or something
like that) that should prove useful.

Unfortunately, we are a State school and references such as these are hard
to come by.  If you could include a how-to-find along with any references, I
would appreciate it.

I have experience with parallel programming and algorithms, so that is not a
problem.  I will post my findings to the net at the end of the quarter
(assuming I actually find something).
--
Steve Jankowski --------------------------------------------------------------
sjankaus@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU                        [][]  [][][][]-][][]  []
                                   |V|   |)         0][][]  shphere * [][]{]
jigganoogiecornholerpoopershnapper | |r  |)ooga     [][][][][][#[][][][]/][]

ksbooth@watcgl.waterloo.edu (Kelly Booth) (10/15/88)

In article <4589@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU> sjankows@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Mr Booga (detonate)) writes:

>Unfortunately, we are a State school and references such as these are hard
>to come by.  If you could include a how-to-find along with any references, I
>would appreciate it.

Two previous postings have explained how to put your academic institution
on the SIGGRAPH Education Directory.  If you need help, ask Dr. Ron Oliver,
who is at Cal Poly (SLO, right?).  He has the name and address for the
chair of the SIGGRAPH education committee.  Institutions listed in the
directory are able to purchase full sets of SIGGRAPH course notes each year
at discounted prices.  Pass this message on to a faculty member in your
department who is willing to do the paperwork to get into the directory.

jevans@cpsc.ucalgary.ca (David Jevans) (10/19/88)

In article <4589@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU>, sjankows@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Mr Booga (detonate)) writes:
>   I have a request similar to Randy Ray's (Raytracing introduction).  I am
> starting a project in parallel raytracing using a Sequent Balance 8000 and
> a couple of color Sun 3's running X.  I have virtually exhausted the
> local resources on raytracing and am in need of basic ray tracing algorithms
> and simple optimization algorithms.

Our university (the U. of Calgary) has significant experience in parallel
ray tracing.  Professors Cleary and Wyvill developed a mesh machine for
raytracing several years ago.  Graduate student (now working at Alias)
Andrew Pearce implemented a parallel raytracer for the mesh machine
that also ran on a network of Corvus'.

I implemented a parallel ray tracing algorithm for polygons and implicit
surfaces earlier in the year on a BBN Butterfly.  I used regular
spatial subdivision combined with adaptive (octree) subdivision to converge
on the surfaces.  Up to 10 nodes I got almost linear speedup, and on a
70 node system I was still getting 50% from each new node added.

If anyone else is interested in references on parallel raytracing
(the mesh machine articles, Pearces Masters thesis, or others
such as Dippe in Siggraph 86 etc) you can send me mail and I can send
a list or copies of some of t

"behind these eyes that say I still exist..."

David Jevans, U of Calgary Computer Science, Calgary AB  T2N 1N4  Canada
uucp: ...{ubc-cs,utai,alberta}!calgary!jevans

David Jevans, U of Calgary Computer Science, Calgary AB  T2N 1N4  Canada
uucp: ...{ubc-cs,utai,alberta}!calgary!jevans

sdg@helios.cs.duke.edu (Subrata Dasgupta) (10/26/88)

In article <77@cs-spool.calgary.UUCP> jevans@cpsc.ucalgary.ca (David Jevans) writes:
...[stuff deleted]...

	I tried to send you mail but it bounced. Sorry about posting this.

bad system name: cpsc.ucalgary.
uux failed. code 68
550 <jevans@cpsc.ucalgary.ca>... Host unknown

In article <77@cs-spool.calgary.UUCP> you write:

>Our university (the U. of Calgary) has significant experience in parallel
>ray tracing.  Professors Cleary and Wyvill developed a mesh machine for
>raytracing several years ago.  Graduate student (now working at Alias)
>Andrew Pearce implemented a parallel raytracer for the mesh machine
>that also ran on a network of Corvus'.

	This all sounds very interesting! A few articles back a person
inquired about a paper on an algorithm analysis by Profs. Wyvill and
Cleary. I am trying to track that paper down but the reason for sending
you this letter is to request some info. on the mesh machine for ray-
tracing developed at your univ. If you can refer me to a recent paper
on this machine it will be great. At Duke we are developing what
has come to be known as the Raycasting machine which computes intersection
of an array of parallel rays with primitives and then uses constructive
solid geometry to compute the shape, volume and other parameters of an
arbitrary object. Thus I would be very much interested in any work in this
area.

>If anyone else is interested in references on parallel raytracing
>(the mesh machine articles, Pearces Masters thesis, or others
>such as Dippe in Siggraph 86 etc) you can send me mail and I can send
>a list or copies of some of t

Any other info. in this area would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

>David Jevans, U of Calgary Computer Science, Calgary AB  T2N 1N4  Canada
>uucp: ...{ubc-cs,utai,alberta}!calgary!jevans

Subrata Dasgupta

--
Department of Computer Science, Duke University, Durham, NC 27706
ARPA: 	sdg@cs.duke.edu
Department of Computer Science, Duke University, Durham, NC 27706
ARPA: 	sdg@cs.duke.edu
CSNET: 	sdg@duke
UUCP: 	decvax!duke!sdg

jevans@.ucalgary.ca (David Jevans) (10/27/88)

If anyone is looking for the analysis of a regular subdivision
ray tracing method, see:
 journal:  Visual Computer July 1988
 title:    Analysis of an Algorithm for Fast Ray Tracing Using
           Uniform Space Subdivision
 authors:  Cleary, J and Wyvill, G
What the paper does is to describe the voxel traversal algorithm
that Cleary developed and that I use in my ray tracer, and then
a theoretical analysis is presented.  It is a convincing argument
for using regular voxel subdivision (although my method
- submitted to CGI '89 in UK - works better for scenes where
polygons are not evenly distributed throughout a scene).

Visual Computer is published by Springer Verlag.  Unfortunately
it doesn't enjoy the circulation of CG&A or TOG so it is
pretty (outrageously?) expensive (like $160 US for 6 issues!).

The design of our Mesh Machine is in:
  journal:  Proc CIPS Graphics Interface '83, 33-34, Edmonton, Alberta, May
  title:    Design and Analysis of a Parallel Ray Tracing Computer
  authors:  John Cleary and Brian Wyvill and Graham Birtwistle and Reddy Vatti

Anything else?

Dave Jevans

"...so you look down and there's a jobee smiling back at you!"