[comp.graphics] Phong/Gouraud

arnold@ux.cs.man.ac.uk (Toby Howard) (10/31/88)

I'm looking for a little biographical information about Phong and
Gouraud. Can anyone help?

Thanks

Toby Howard      Computer Graphics Unit, Manchester University, UK.
                 janet: thoward@uk.ac.man.cs.cgu
                 internet: thoward%cgu.cs.man.ac.uk@nss.cs.ucl.ac.uk

ksbooth@watcgl.waterloo.edu (Kelly Booth) (11/03/88)

In article <5120@ux.cs.man.ac.uk> arnold@ux.cs.man.ac.uk (Toby Howard) writes:
>I'm looking for a little biographical information about Phong and
>Gouraud. Can anyone help?

Both did PhD's at Utah.  This means that copies of their theses contain
a biographical sketch up to the time of the theses.

Phong is not Phong.  His full name is Bui Tuong Phong.  I belive the
proper surname is Bui Tuong (it is definitely not Phong).  The second
edition of Newman and Sproull is dedicated to him (1942-1975).

alain@dgp.toronto.edu (Alain Fournier) (11/07/88)

And Henri Gouraud is alive and living in Paris.
He started some years ago a company named Tangram (with Patrick Baudelaire)
and is now working for DEC at the research lab they started in Europe/France/Paris.
He is probably on the net, maybe too busy to log on.