[comp.graphics] raytrace help

hal@datacube.UUCP (11/11/88)

	Does anyone out there care to recommend a good reference on
raytracing?
	There've been several programs posted (I'm still hoping to
catch MTV if he ever posts again), but they're a little hard to walk
though.  I have a multiprocessor environment available, and I'd like
to try to partition one of these raytracers to run in it.

----------------------------- Hal Moroff -------------------------------
		  Datacube Inc. / Applications Group
                           4  Dearborn Road
                          Peabody, MA  01960
                                 USA
VOICE: (508) 535-6644      FAX: (508) 535-5643     TWX: (710) 347-0125
UUCP:  hal@datacube.COM      [ihnp4 | mirror]!datacube!hal
       {seismo,cbosgd,cuae2,mit-eddie}!mirror!datacube!hal

markv@uoregon.uoregon.edu (Mark VandeWettering) (11/13/88)

In article <9700001@datacube> hal@datacube.UUCP writes:
>	Does anyone out there care to recommend a good reference on
>raytracing?

	Right now, there seems to be a lack of really good references
	about raytracing, other than pouring over lots of individual
	articles.  "Procedural Elements of Computer Graphics" by Rogers
	is a very good book, but I am unsure whether it will tell you
	"enough" to get going on raytracing.

	You should probably get a copy of Turner Whitted's original
	article "An Improved Illumination Model for Shaded Display" in
	the June 80 CACM.  Between that and Rogers, you should be able
	to hack together a rudimentary raytracer, and learn alot in the
	process.

	The best reference by far is a set of the Siggraph course notes
	called "Introduction to RayTracing".  I have heard rumor that
	this is soon to be a real live book by next year.  Pick one up
	if you can, excellent reference.

	The key that I have found to making all this work is to not try
	to implement what you don't fully understand.  It makes code
	impossible to debug.  Even if someone else gives you an
	algorithm, you should try to understand it rather than just
	copy it.

>	There've been several programs posted (I'm still hoping to
>catch MTV if he ever posts again), but they're a little hard to walk
>though.  I have a multiprocessor environment available, and I'd like
>to try to partition one of these raytracers to run in it.

	My program is indeed a bit hard to walk through.  It is getting
	too big for novices to understand easily, especially if you
	don't have access to the now extensive set of references that I
	have gathered.

	I too have thought about a multiprocessor implementation of a
	raytracer.  It shouldn't be too difficult, but then again, I
	haven't done it yet either :-)

	Concerning a new release of my raytracer:  see a followup
	posting to appear here later (within a day).

johnm@trsvax.UUCP (11/14/88)

>	Does anyone out there care to recommend a good reference on
>raytracing?

Try:
	Procedural Elements for Computer Graphics
	by David F. Rogers
	McGraw Hill		ISBN 0-07-053534-5

This is the only book that I have ever bought sight unseen (based only upon
the recommendations of others in this newsgroup), I haven't regretted it for a
second.  I highly recommend it.

This book gives loads of information about ray tracers, scan line methods,
painter's algorithms, etc. and gives you the flow charts and descriptions of
data structures that you need to implement them.

John Munsch