[comp.graphics] new newsgroup proposal: comp.image.processing

annala@neuro.usc.edu (A J Annala) (11/12/88)

Would anyone out there in netland be interested in starting, organizing,
managing, or participating in either a new newsgroup dedicated to the
distribution and evaluation of image processing software for scientific
imaging applications?  I have had a very hard time finding pd software
for image processing ... some individual astronomers and astronomical
observatory groups were very helpful ... but I would like to see if it
is possible to stimulate the development of a more readily available
source of already packaged software for anonymous ftp ... and extremely
rapid exchange of information on algorithms not already implelemted in
software.

Thanks, AJ Annala, USC Neural, Informational & Behavioral Science Program

ners001@vmsa.technion.ac.il (11/17/88)

-----
In article <13397@oberon.USC.EDU>, annala@neuro.usc.edu.BITNET writes:
> Would anyone out there in netland be interested in starting, organizing,
> managing, or participating in either a new newsgroup dedicated to the
> distribution and evaluation of image processing software for scientific
> imaging applications?
-----

a very good and long overdue idea.

While it is not clear whether Image Processing is a small specific
area of application in the world of Computer Graphics or just the
opposite,  I do believe that there is a wide range of topics
which are not of great interest to both groups.

While I do have some interest in computer graphics, I don't like
to wade through all the TIFF->GIF->PostScript garbage trying to
find somebody out there who might spread some light on the subjects
which are more particular to scientific imaging applications.

/*
Are there still people out there who are interested in Image Restoration,
Computed Tomography, Real-Time Imaging Hardware and general purpose
image processing software packages - or is everbody spending their
time trying to build *standard* translation packages for all the
*standard* image formats that seem to pop up each time it rains?
*/

I would definitely like to participate in a newsgroup that would deal
specifically with subjects pertaining to Scientific Imaging Applications.
This might also be a forum for discussion on Imaging Hardware/Software,
peripherals, as well as specific application areas such as: Computer Vision,
Computed Tomography, Image Restoration, and Feature Extraction/Classification.

( There is a possibility that such a group already exists but our
  installation does not receive it. If so Please inform me of its existence.)

If there is a demand for such a group I wouldn't mind starting, organizing
or managing it (if I knew how).

Anybody out there have any opinions or suggestions ???
Benjamin Cohen
ners001@vmsa.technion.ac.il

>If there is a demand for such a group I wouldn't mind starting, organizing
>or managing it (if I knew how).
>
>Anybody out there have any opinions or suggestions ???

The group I'm with does satellite remote-sensing oceanography; consequently,
I'd be interested in an image processing/analysis newsgroup or mailing-
list.

As to how to set it up: I'd check out "news.announce.<something>" (where
<something> might be "newusers").  I think there's something there from
John Quartermain on how to establish a mailing list.
--
Steve Emmerson                     Inet: steve@umigw.miami.edu [128.116.10.1]
SPAN: miami::emmerson (host 3074::)      emmerson%miami.span@star.stanford.edu
Steve Emmerson                     Inet: steve@umigw.miami.edu [128.116.10.1]
SPAN: miami::emmerson (host 3074::)      emmerson%miami.span@star.stanford.edu
UUCP: ...!ncar!umigw!steve               emmerson%miami.span@vlsi.jpl.nasa.gov
"Computers are like God in the Old Testament: lots of rules and no mercy"

prathuri@elbereth.rutgers.edu (Chandrasekhar .P) (11/18/88)

We do need a group for image processing and anlysis forum that would
discuss about computer vision, robot vision and the like fields.  As
far as I know, till now, there is only one comp.graphics group to such
a big field as scientific image studies.  Why don't we call a new
group comp.vision that includes all related areas?  Hope all important
people would come forward, to make this possible.
chandra s prathuri csp@mars

In article <Nov.17.22.13.52.1988.16101@elbereth.rutgers.edu> prathuri@elbereth.rutgers.edu (Chandrasekhar .P) writes:
>We do need a group for image processing and anlysis forum that would
>discuss about computer vision, robot vision and the like fields.  As
>far as I know, till now, there is only one comp.graphics group to such
>a big field as scientific image studies.  Why don't we call a new
>group comp.vision that includes all related areas?  Hope all important
>people would come forward, to make this possible.

Actually there is an Internet mailing list (vision-list) for we vision people.
It is gatewayed to USENET (as comp.ai.vision), but not very many sites seem to
get it. Check with your upstream feeds to see if it can be sent to you.
Alternatively, you can subscribe by sending a message to
vision-list-request@ads.com .

The traffic on vision-list is quite low (1 digest per week or so).

If there's enough interest in an unmoderated group, maybe one should
be created.  I think Phil Kahn (the vision-list moderator) should be
brought into the discussion if this idea is going to be pursued.
Patrick Flynn, Dept. of Computer Science, Michigan State University
flynn@cpsvax.cps.msu.edu flynn@eecae.UUCP FLYNN@MSUEGR.BITNET
"First we break 'em in half.... then we mash 'em to a pulp."

tombre@crin.crin.fr (Karl Tombre) (11/19/88)

Yes I also support such a newsgroup, for the same reason : I am not
interested in computer graphics but am very interested in image
processing... and it is difficult to wade through comp.graphics for finding
the one or two transactions on ip.

--
--- Karl Tombre @ CRIN / INRIA Lorraine
EMAIL : tombre@crin.crin.fr - POST : BP 239, 54506 VANDOEUVRE CEDEX, France

shuang@caip.rutgers.edu (Shuang Chen) (11/19/88)

Maybe we need to create a comp.vision group and change comp.ai.vision
to comp.vision.digest.  Any way I think it is necessary to have a
comp.vision group.

Shuang