[comp.graphics] Graphics SPFX Info

akc@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Bruce Cox) (11/21/88)

I'm working on a paper on the history and development of computer graphics.
One of my subjects in this paper is the work of computer graphics in motion
pictures and television.  I'm looking for any sources that might be able to
help me on this paper.  If anyone knows of any good references, I would
greatly appreciate it if you could email them to me.

I'm also interested in finding more works that have been produced by
Pixar.  The only one that I'm familiar with now is the Genesis Effect from
The Wrath of Kahn that they produced when they were still Lucasfilm
Computer Graphics Laboratory.

Thanks in advance!
Bruce
Bruce Cox     UUCP:  akj@mace.cc.purdue.edu   BITNET:  clone@purccvm.bitnet
	"Of All The Things I've Lost, It's My Mind I Miss The Most"

In article <1199@mace.cc.purdue.edu>, akc@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Bruce Cox) writes:
> Bruce Cox     UUCP:  akj@mace.cc.purdue.edu   BITNET:  clone@purccvm.bitnet
> 	"Of All The Things I've Lost, It's My Mind I Miss The Most"

Oops, sorry. I just posted this and noticed my signature was wrong.  My
UUCP address should be.... akc@mace.cc.purdue.edu not akj.

Bruce

efo@pixar.uucp (efo) (11/23/88)

In article <1199@mace.cc.purdue.edu> akc@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Bruce Cox) writes:
>I'm also interested in finding more works that have been produced by
>Pixar.
I'm more than happy to respond to this one.

1982	Star Trek II - the "Genesis Demo"
1984	The Adventures of Andre and Wally B. - our first attempt
		at 3D character animation. Particle systems trees,
		stochastic rocks, squash and stretch.
1985	Young Sherlock Holmes - the Stained Glass Knight. An effect
		sequence for this motion picture featured a computer-
		generated character interacting with live action figures
		and sets. The stained glass window comes alive and chases
		a kindly priest down the aisle of a church. Technical
		features included laser-scanned input and output, digital
		compositing, motion blur, and rack-focus (depth-of-field).
1985	Blowin' in the Wind - The Movie. Bill Reeves's short film of a field
		of grass on a windy day.  Soundtrack by Bob Dylan.
1986	Luxo jr. "The enchanting story of a lamp and his son." 2:07 1.66:1 a/r.
		A test of some shadowing software that achieved (thanks
		to John Lasseter's touch with the animation) a life of its
		own (or more). Winner of more awards than I care to mention.
		Nominated for an Academy Award.
1986	Flags and Waves. Procedural models for flapping flags and beautiful
		ocean waves. The sequel to "Road to Pt. Reyes"?
1986	Beach Chair (in color). Only 14 seconds, but such power and emotion!
		And so many tracks of Foley!
1987	Red's Dream. "What do unicycles dream about on rainy nights?" 4:17
		1.85:1 a/r. Here we attempted great visual complexity
		(in the bike shop and exterior shots), rain, use of a new
		rendering program that runs on the Pixar Image Computer
		(ChapReyes), and a sad ending.
1988	Tin Toy. "He's six inches tall. He's out of his box. Someone left
		him alone with the baby."  The story of a windup and his
		encounter with a frightening humanoid. 5:08 1.66:1 a/r.
		A computer-generated baby was the main achievement here.
		Computed using Pixar's RenderMan interface and some new
		animation software.

Couldn't pass up the opportunity -
	Eben Ostby
	animation R & D, Pixar