[comp.graphics] Jobs?

js9b+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jon C. Slenk) (11/30/88)

Hi all!

I have been watching the ext.nn.misc.jobs.offered bboard for some time, and have
yet to see anything concerning computer graphics. What is the deal? Aren't there
companies out there who need / want computer graphic
buffs/freaks/fiends/doers/gurus? I, for one, wish to work in such a position
when I (eventually) graduate / grow up.
I would _love_ to work for SUN or PIXAR or SILICON GRAPHICS or ATARI or DISNEY
or... but no one is ever posting - whats the deal? Is the job market here non
existant? Should I plan to go into another area of buisness?
I think PIXAR posted a while back, but when I tried to email back, through
various routes, it just bounced, and bounced, and bounced...

Does anyone know what thier location is (prefereably not through UUCP) say on
Internet or Arpanet?

Well, thanks in advance for anything and everything.

Sincerely,
Jon Slenk / js9b CMU

gladman@banana.cis.ohio-state.edu (gregory gladman) (11/30/88)

In article <IXYiFFy00XoUM3DV1Z@andrew.cmu.edu> js9b+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jon C. Slenk) writes:
>What is the deal? Aren't there companies out there who need / want
>computer graphic buffs/freaks/fiends/doers/gurus? I, for one, wish to
>work in such a position when I (eventually) graduate / grow up.
>...Is the job market here non-existant? Should I plan to go into another
>area of buisness?

I've got the same questions.  I'm an undergrad at Ohio State, majoring in
Computer/Info Science, and I'd like to work in computer graphics (especially
animation) as soon as possible.  I've done enough independent study to write
some of my own software (wire-frame rotation and simple ray-tracing), but
I don't know what kind of education and experience most companies are
looking for these days.  Is there any way for me to "get my feet wet"
before I enter the job market? (I'm a junior, and those important career
decision points are coming up SOON!)
	                Thanks for any/all information in advance...
						-Gg

ksbooth@watcgl.waterloo.edu (Kelly Booth) (11/30/88)

In article <28669@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> gladman@banana.cis.ohio-state.edu (gregory gladman) writes:
>I don't know what kind of education and experience most companies are
>looking for these days.  Is there any way for me to "get my feet wet"
>before I enter the job market?

Have we got a deal for you!  The SIGGRAPH Career Information Handbook
is nearing completion and will be distributed soon as a special issue
of the ACM SIGGRAPH newsletter.  It may not have everything you want,
but it does answer many of the questions posed in the above-mentioned
article and in the original article to which that was a follow-up.

spf@whuts.ATT.COM (Steve Frysinger of Blue Feather Farm) (11/30/88)

> Is there any way for me to "get my feet wet"
> before I enter the job market?

Look into your school's Co-op program.  These are programs in which
you take a semester off from school and work full-time in a sponsoring
company.  It is possible to arrange your academic schedule so that
it doesn't extend your grad date (if your hussle).  It provides very
valuable real-world experience, and also helps with the tuition.

I co-oped with the US Environmental Protection Agency (by undergrad
degree is in Environmental Physics), working there for 6 months
full-time, and learned a tremendous amount.  If my children elect to go
to college, I will strongly encourage them to consider co-oping (whatever
their fields).

Good luck! Steve Frysinger

bp@pixar.uucp (Bruce Perens) (12/01/88)

> From: js9b+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jon C. Slenk)
>
> I would _love_ to work for SUN or PIXAR or SILICON GRAPHICS or ATARI or DISNEY
> I think PIXAR posted a while back, but when I tried to email back, through
> various routes, it just bounced, and bounced, and bounced...

Employment-related communication with Pixar should be in the form of
U.S. Mail (or express mail) to the following address:

	Pixar
	3240 Kerner Blvd.
	San Rafael, Ca. 94901
	Attn: personnel

Our main phone number is 415-258-8100.

Something as important as your future employment should not be trusted to
email alone. Feel free to email your resume, but ALWAYS send a copy through
the physical mail as well. Email fails too often. Our usenet address
for resumes is {sun,ucbvax}!pixar!personnel .

					Bruce Perens
					pixar!bp

jevans@cpsc.ucalgary.ca (David Jevans) (12/01/88)

In article <28669@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu>, gladman@banana.cis.ohio-state.edu (gregory gladman) writes:
> In article <IXYiFFy00XoUM3DV1Z@andrew.cmu.edu> js9b+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jon C. Slenk) writes:
> >What is the deal? Aren't there companies out there who need / want
> >computer graphic buffs/freaks/fiends/doers/gurus? I, for one, wish to
> >work in such a position when I (eventually) graduate / grow up.
> >...Is the job market here non-existant? Should I plan to go into another
> >area of buisness?

> I don't know what kind of education and experience most companies are
> looking for these days.  Is there any way for me to "get my feet wet"
> before I enter the job market? (I'm a junior, and those important career
> decision points are coming up SOON!)

4 easy steps to getting the graphics job-o-your-dreams:

1. Get your Bsc.
2. Get your Msc/Phd in computer graphics.
3. Get published in SIGGRAPH.
4. Wait for the job offers.

The alternate route:

1. Get your Bsc.
2. Get your Msc/Phd in computer graphics.
3. Get published in SIGGRAPH.
4. Start your own company.

Easy!

David Jevans, U of Calgary Computer Science, Calgary AB  T2N 1N4  Canada
uucp: ...{ubc-cs,utai,alberta}!calgary!jevans

steved@longs.LANCE.ColoState.Edu (Steve Dempsey) (12/02/88)

In article <266@cs-spool.calgary.UUCP>, jevans@cpsc.ucalgary.ca (David Jevans) writes:

> 4 easy steps to getting the graphics job-o'-your-dreams:
>
> 1. Get your Bsc.

4+ years

> 2. Get your Msc/Phd in computer graphics.

3-4+ years

> 3. Get published in SIGGRAPH.

depends on how deep the queue is; conservative 6 months

> 4. Wait for the job offers.

1-2 weeks.

> Easy!

Let's see, I've already done step 1 and 1 semester of step 2.
Now, if I could only wait 3 years + 2 weeks (minimum), I guess I'll
be there.  But I want it yesterday :-)

> David Jevans, U of Calgary Computer Science, Calgary AB  T2N 1N4  Canada

        Steve Dempsey,  Center for Computer Assisted Engineering
  Colorado State University, Fort Collins, CO  80523    +1 303 491 0630
INET: steved@longs.LANCE.ColoState.Edu, dempsey@handel.CS.ColoState.Edu
UUCP: boulder!ccncsu!longs.LANCE.ColoState.Edu!steved, ...!ncar!handel!dempsey

keith@celia.UUCP (Keith Goldfarb) (12/02/88)

In article <28669@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> gladman@banana.cis.ohio-state.edu
>In article <IXYiFFy00XoUM3DV1Z@andrew.cmu.edu> js9b+@andrew.cmu.edu
>>What is the deal? Aren't there companies out there who need / want ...
>>...Should I plan to go into another area of buisness?
>
>I've got the same questions....
>...Is there any way for me to "get my feet wet"

Three simple answers to these complicated questions...

    1) Robert Abel and Associates.
    2) Digital Productions.
    3) Omnibus.

Any questions?

K.

PS: Cranston Csuri Productions, Digital Effects, Magi, III.

--
Keith Goldfarb                 Rhythm & Hues
celia!keith@tis.llnl.gov       ...sm.unisys.com!mlogic!celia!keith

leech@tlab1.cs.unc.edu (Jonathan Leech) (12/05/88)

In article <329@celia.UUCP> celia!keith@tis.llnl.gov (Keith Goldfarb) writes:
>In article <28669@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> gladman@banana.cis.ohio-state.edu
>>...Is there any way for me to "get my feet wet"
>Three simple answers to these complicated questions...
>    3) Omnibus.

    I found Omnibus a great way to get my feet wet, and finance my
last undergraduate year. It also showed how incredibly boring
production computer graphics houses can be. Working for the people who
write the software and build the systems will probably prove more
rewarding for most programmers.
--
    Jon Leech (leech@cs.unc.edu)    __@/
    ``My goal is simple. It is complete understanding of the universe,

keithd@gryphon.COM (Keith Doyle) (12/06/88)

In article <329@celia.UUCP> celia!keith@tis.llnl.gov (Keith Goldfarb) writes:
>Three simple answers to these complicated questions...
>
>    1) Robert Abel and Associates.
>    2) Digital Productions.
>    3) Omnibus.
>PS: Cranston Csuri Productions, Digital Effects, Magi, III.
>
>Any questions?

Yes, what are you trying to say?  That there's no money in it?
Or that it's been managed by idiots? :-)

Keith Doyle
gryphon!keithd

kory@avatar.UUCP (Kory Hamzeh) (12/06/88)

In article <329@celia.UUCP>, keith@celia.UUCP (Keith Goldfarb) writes:
> In article <28669@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> gladman@banana.cis.ohio-state.edu
> >I've got the same questions....
> >...Is there any way for me to "get my feet wet"
>
> Three simple answers to these complicated questions...
>     1) Robert Abel and Associates.
>     2) Digital Productions.
>     3) Omnibus.

Actually, Robert Abel and Associates is no longer in business. They were
bought out by WaveFront (which is located in Santa Barbara California).

Most of the hot-shots at WaveFront use to work at Abel and Associates. A
name that comes to mind is Roy Hall.

--kory

Kory Hamzeh			    UUCP:     ..!uunet!psivax!quad1!avatar!kory
				    INTERNET: avatar!kory@quad.com