[comp.graphics] DISAVOWAL of just a random idea

seth@miro.Berkeley.EDU (Seth Teller) (12/08/88)

eva,

you're right, the message was offensive and i apologize.  however, there's
something you and the rest of the net should know:

----> I DID NOT POST IT. <----

the message was composed and posted by two graphics people who broke into
my account and sent it out under my name.  rather than name them here, i
have asked them to mail a public retraction to the net (and a private one
to you).

yours,

seth

ps next time you're about to flame me, call me first.

**********************

moore%cdr.utah.edu@wasatch.UUCP (Tim Moore) (12/08/88)

>In article <22960@sgi.SGI.COM> eva@socrates.SGI.COM (eva Manolis) writes:
>>In article <7980@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU>, seth@miro.Berkeley.EDU (Seth Teller) writes:
>>> This way you could make the dullest of polygons look interesting. Like you
>>> could take a Playmate, or a monkey, or something, and put it on a coffee-pot
>>               ^^^^^^^^
>>PLEASE , must you MEN always include irrelevant sex images in
>>	 everything you do ???
>>	-- eva

I'm sure the original message was not meant to be offensive. Lena, the
November 1971 playmate, is one of the most famous test images in
computer graphics/image processing, perhaps second only to the
mandrill. She has been texture-mapped onto many objects already (see
the inside back cover of Foley and Van Dam.)

Regardless of who wrote it, the posting in question refered to
the Playmate as a cliche image rather than as the object of a hacker's
misplaced desire. It's quite a good test image with which to exercise
display programs because the image background contains many slightly different
colors. A median cut color allocation algorithm will give too much
weight to the background, causing Lena's face to be all broken up.

			-Tim Moore
	4560 M.E.B.		   internet:moore@cs.utah.edu
	University of Utah	   ABUSENET:{ut-sally,hplabs}!utah-cs!moore
	Salt Lake City, UT 84112

fnf@fishpond.UUCP (Fred Fish) (12/10/88)

In article <721@wasatch.UUCP> moore%cdr.utah.edu.UUCP@wasatch.UUCP (Tim Moore) writes:
>I'm sure the original message was not meant to be offensive. Lena, the
>November 1971 playmate, is one of the most famous test images in
>computer graphics/image processing...
>
>She has been texture-mapped onto many objects already (see
>the inside back cover of Foley and Van Dam.)

I just looked and god is she UGLY!  How did she ever make playmate anyway...
:-) :-)

-Fred