[comp.graphics] Computer Artists' LUMENA System For Sale BEFORE DEC 31st!

pam@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Pam Hong) (12/19/88)

This may be the only time you'll get
a chance like this, so if you've been
waiting and wanting for a long time,
don't pass this one up...

A friend of mine is selling his $22,000
Lumena Graphics System for $14,000 obo.

This is the highly regarded LUMENA software
from TimeArts which has produced many of the
prize winners in the NCGA and SIGGRAPH
Computer Art competitions.

Lumena System is based on an IBM-PC platform and includes:

	- Lumena-8 software version 4.x
        - Number 9 Color Graphics Board
            512 x 512 res. w/256 colors
	- IBM-PC Station with 8 Megabytes of RAM
	- 20 Megabytes of HD storage
	- Digitizing graphics tablet with stylus
	- High Res Graphics Monitor
	- Much more... If interested, please call or e-mail for more info.

MUST SELL BEFORE DEC 31st!  So if you are interested please
send e-mail or call (808) 955-2758 and leave return phone number
so I can return your call and give you details on the system.

He is selling this system because he is moving up to a 386 machine.
Total value of the system exceeds 22 thousand dollars but he must
sell before the end of the year for tax reasons so he is sacrificing.
He'd like to get 14K, but if you make a reasonable offer, it will be
considered. But please hurry!

Aloha from Hawaii!

|INTERNET: pam@uhccux.UHCC.HAWAII.EDU         BITNET:   pam@uhccux.BITNET   |
|UUCP:  ...!ucsd!nosc!uhccux!pam              PLATO:    pam / uhcc / hawaii |

Classic_-_Concepts@cup.portal.com (12/21/88)

I hate to do this, because it could easily be misinterpreted and I am NOT
engaging in 'computer wars', but in the interests of consumer information
and making informed purchases, I've decided to take the risk.  Regarding
the Lumena system, if you are really interested in computer graphics and
comparing prices, you should be aware that the following system can be
put together new (with 8 megs RAM)...
       Amiga 2000, Bridgecard (to support MS/DOS), FlickerFixer (to
       eliminate interlace flicker), 68020 + 68881 math coprocessor to
       bump speed up to ca. 14 MHz, Deluxe Paint II, Deluxe PhotoLab,
       still digitizer, live digitizer and multisync monitor AND a
       whole bunch of excellent 3-d ray-tracing software packages would
       run under $8,000.  Graphics are 640x400 with 64 colors in extra
       halfbrite mode, 4096 colors in ham mode. For another $350 you
       could throw in the cable and a fairly good CD player.  This
       system would support IBM software, Amiga software and is an
       multitasking workstation with mouse (FYI, I work with Macs/IBM/Amiga).

cs313s03@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (.) (12/23/88)

In article <12802@cup.portal.com> Classic_-_Concepts@cup.portal.com writes:
|Regarding the Lumena system... the following system can be put together...
|[details of nice $8000 Amiga system]
|                                    ....(FYI, I work with Macs/IBM/Amiga).

   But, have you ever worked with *Lumena* ?

(Those who *have* are probably not concerned so much with the hardware.)

      Try offering $8000.  :-)

mann@intacc.uucp (Jeff Mann) (12/24/88)

In article <12802@cup.portal.com> Classic_-_Concepts@cup.portal.com writes:

>the Lumena system, if you are really interested in computer graphics and
>comparing prices, you should be aware that the following system can be
>put together new (with 8 megs RAM)...
>       Amiga 2000, Bridgecard (to support MS/DOS), FlickerFixer (to

[ List of other goodies deleted ]

Sorry, but I just couldn't let it go by without putting in my 2 cents.
Here at Inter/Access, we have both the Amiga system and the AT&T TARGA
board (AT board which Lumena runs on), and there is just NO comparison
in image quality.  Video frames from the TARGA are virtually indistinguish-
able from the original video source, due to the 32,000+ colours available
onscreen simultaneously.  The Amiga fares better in terms of real-time
animation, due to the smaller (lower resolution) image files, and the
DMA video channel (frame data must be sent over the AT bus to the TARGA
card, while the Amiga takes it straight from the lower 512k of main
memory).

The Lumena/TARGA package is a truly professional setup, capable of ANY
of the animation sequences you see on T.V. (actually, a lot of them are
done with Lumena), provided you have access to a frame-by-frame video
recorder (much $$).  The Amiga is more of a home system, i.e., it is
not capable of producing full video-resolution images, but it tends to
be more versatile (and fun!).  And the software is a LOT cheaper :-)...

--
| Jeff Mann - Inter/Access Videotex, Toronto  ...uunet!mnetor!intacc!mann  |
| "A picture is worth 256 thousand words"  {utzoo, utgpu}!chp!intacc!mann  |