[comp.graphics] Printing and self-reference

awpaeth@watcgl.waterloo.edu (Alan Wm Paeth) (01/11/89)

In article <3610@cs.Buffalo.EDU> lively@sunybcs.UUCP (Richard S. Lively) writes:

>SPEAKING of self-referential, does anyone agree that reference 19, p. 292
>in "Color Gamut Mapping and the Printing of Digital Color Images" in the
>October 1988 ACM TOG should receive an award for "most unique citation".
>I would be interested to hear if anyone has run across any similar
>references.

The most vivid, graphic "self-referential" article I can remember appeared in
_Scientific American_ some years back and also concerned printing (no, it was
*not* Hofstaeder's corner). The right-hand-side opening page of the article
was accompanyied by a full-page left-hand "verso" showing the cast, gleaming,
mirror-image metal type used to print the "recto". In describing the picture
the story thus became self-referential. Maybe "reflexive" is more appropriate!

    /Alan Paeth
    Computer Graphics Laboratory
    University of Waterloo