[comp.graphics] Bitmap

parent@cis.ohio-state.edu (Richard Parent) (01/04/89)

i don't have any reference to point to, but just from memory, it seems
to me that a 'bitmapped image' originally referred to an image that was
represented as a bunch of bits (one or more per pixel). This was as opposed
to a display list or vector representation, or  alphanumeric codes to
represent a text image.

Rick Parent				parent@cis.ohio-state.edu
Ohio State University
Columbus, Ohio 43210

kyriazis@rpics (George Kyriazis) (01/05/89)

In article <30444@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> parent@cis.ohio-state.edu (Richard Parent) writes:

>i don't have any reference to point to, but just from memory, it seems
>to me that a 'bitmapped image' originally referred to an image that was
>represented as a bunch of bits (one or more per pixel). This was as opposed
>to a display list or vector representation, or  alphanumeric codes to
>represent a text image.

I tend to agree more with Paul Heckbert.  The difference is that you
are describing an expression like 'bitmapped image' , while Paul means the
replacement of the word 'image' by the word 'bitmap' as in
'I have a color bitmap of the mandrill' meaning of course, 'a color digitized
picture of the mandrill', or something resonably close.

A more appropriate expression could've been a 'bytemap' (Geesh!) for an
8 bpp image.

I also think that it's not clear if the 'new' meaning of bitmap means just
image or digitized image.  It's a bit awkward to hear things like
'your ray-tracer produces wonderful bitmaps'  (???)

>Rick Parent				parent@cis.ohio-state.edu
>Ohio State University
>Columbus, Ohio 43210

  George Kyriazis
  kyriazis@turing.cs.rpi.edu
  kyriazis@ss0.cicg.rpi.edu
------------------------------

shawn@pnet51.cts.com (Shawn Stanley) (01/06/89)

A "bitmap" is not solely a graphics term.  Thus, arguing over whether "bitmap"
refers to color or not doesn't make much sense.

UUCP: {rosevax, crash}!orbit!pnet51!shawn
INET: shawn@pnet51.cts.com

grinstei@hawk.ulowell.edu (Georges Grinstein) (01/06/89)

"pixmap" may be more appropriate but already is being used with a somewhat
different meaning.
Dr. Georges Grinstein         Director - Graphics Research Laboratory
grinstein@ulowell.edu         University of Lowell
(508)-452-5000 x2681          Lowell, MA 01854

lively@sunybcs.uucp (Richard S. Lively) (01/10/89)

Pixmap doesn't seem very satisfying either.  After all, if a bitmap is
a raster where each pixel is a single bit, does that make a pixmap a raster
where each pixel is a single pix (?).  Sounds dangerously self-referential.

SPEAKING of self-referential, does anyone agree that reference 19, p. 292
in "Color Gamut Mapping and the Printing of Digital Color Images" in the
October 1988 ACM TOG should receive an award for "most unique citation".
I would be interested to hear if anyone has run across any similar