[comp.graphics] Interpreting data from an Eikonix 1435

jonathan@jvc.UUCP (Jonathan Hue) (01/26/89)

Can anyone tell me how to interpret the RGB data from an Eikonix 1435
slide scanner?  What I need is an answer like: "The RGB values represent
intensity^0.45 of primaries located at the following coordinates: Red x=.67
y=.33 Green x=.21 y=.71 etc..." or something like that.  I realize that the
answer is probably not this simple, but any information would be useful.

Also, does anyone have working software for this thing yet on a Sun-3?
The version I was shipped wouldn't run until I poked around with adb
a bit and patched the binary.  They said they shipped me version 1.1
this week, but that's the same version number as the one I have.

Jonathan Hue		uunet!jvc!jonathan

annala@neuro.usc.edu (A J Annala) (01/26/89)

In article <226@jvc.UUCP> jonathan@jvc.UUCP (Jonathan Hue) writes:
>Can anyone tell me how to interpret the RGB data from an Eikonix 1435
>slide scanner?  What I need is an answer like: "The RGB values represent
>intensity^0.45 of primaries located at the following coordinates: Red x=.67
>y=.33 Green x=.21 y=.71 etc..." or something like that.  I realize that the
>answer is probably not this simple, but any information would be useful.
>
>Also, does anyone have working software for this thing yet on a Sun-3?
>The version I was shipped wouldn't run until I poked around with adb
>a bit and patched the binary.  They said they shipped me version 1.1
>this week, but that's the same version number as the one I have.
>
>Jonathan Hue		uunet!jvc!jonathan

I couldn't get your mailing address to work ... so I am posting this to
the network.  We are seriously considering acquiring an Eikonix 1412 ...
this is a 4096 x 4096 pixel x 12 bit CCD linear array stepping camera ...
we would want to connect it to a SUN-III/160C-P8 system ... we were given
a quote for a SUN3/VME-bus interface including "... hardware, 12' cable,
documentation, and Driver / Library software package with full support."
I had expected this system would work immediately on installation w/out
the kind of tinkering you mention in your note.  I would appreciate a
summary of your experience with this camera system and it's support ...
including (if possible) a report on photometric performance, signal to
noise ratio, sensitivity, scan to scan variability, and ease of use by
email to annala%neuro.usc.edu@oberon.usc.edu.

Thanks, AJ Annala, USC Neuroscience Program

p.s. (1)  I am told that Eikonix is a subsidiary of Kodak.
     (2)  There has been some suggestion in this newsgroup that
          re-Kodak products were somewhat difficult to use
     (3)  I would like to know what kind of light box you use
          with a 12 bit camera that can guarantee photometric
          uniformity and low noise ... and/or how much frame
          averaging or time integration you need to do to get
          a low noise image anywhere near full precision of the
          device.

perry@madnix.UUCP (Perry Kivolowitz) (01/28/89)

Is Eikonix on the net?

We've just finished (what we consider to be) an excellent and quite
robust scanner system supporting the Sharp JX-300, 450, and 600 flat
bed scanners (on the Commodore Amiga).

We're looking for vendors that will work with us (by lending us
equipment for software development) to expand our base in the color
processing area. Specifically, we're interested in slide scanners
(the Eikonix is perfect - we developed our own high speed IEEE-488
interface to support the Sharp) and film recorders.

The most significant problem we've faced so far has been due to the
lack of respect established vendors have for the CBM Amiga. (For comparison
purposes only - I certainly don't want to start a MCIBTYC war - when comparing
feature for feature - our scanning system is as fast or faster than any found
on the MacII inspite of the fact we run on a 7MHz 68000. With a 14 MHz 68020
we run things like 24 bit color separations 6 times faster than some similar
systems available on the MacII).

Anyway, if there are any providers of film recorders or slide scanners on
the net, we'd like very much to establish relationships which might prove
beneficial to all parties concerned.

Thanks Much

--
Perry Kivolowitz, ASDG Inc.

ARPA: madnix!perry@cs.wisc.edu   {uunet|ncoast}!marque!
UUCP:   {harvard|rutgers|ucbvax}!uwvax!astroatc!nicmad!madnix!perry