[comp.graphics] PHIGS Information

donh@pedsga.UUCP (01/26/89)

	I have just begun working on a project involving PHIGS.
What I have found is that aside from the PHIGS documents available
from the Standards Committee there seems to be little information
on programming using PHIGS. I am interested in finding out two
things. One, are there test programs available that you can run
to validate that your PHIGS library routines are doing what PHIGS
is supposed to do and two, does anyone know of any books or
documentation that might help me program using PHIGS. Also
are there any PHIGS special interest groups in operation
anywhere?

Thanks,

Donald F. Hopkins
Concurrent Computer Corporation
106 Apple Street
Tinton Falls, New Jersey 07724
201-758-7495		...!rutgers!petsd!pedsga!donh

andrea@hp-sdd.hp.com (Andrea K. Frankel) (01/31/89)

In article <783@pedsga.UUCP> donh@pedsga.UUCP writes:
>What I have found is that aside from the PHIGS documents available
>from the Standards Committee there seems to be little information
>on programming using PHIGS. I am interested in finding out two
>things. One, are there test programs available that you can run
>to validate that your PHIGS library routines are doing what PHIGS
>is supposed to do and two, does anyone know of any books or
>documentation that might help me program using PHIGS.

I found helpful a little book called "understanding PHIGS", put out by
Template (the software side of Megatek).  You might give them a ring
at (619) 455-5590 to see about getting a copy.

Andrea Frankel, Hewlett-Packard (San Diego Division) (619) 592-4664
	"wake now!  Discover that you are the song that the morning brings..."
UUCP     : {hplabs|nosc|hpfcla|ucsd}!hp-sdd!andrea
Internet : andrea%hp-sdd@hp-sde.sde.hp.com (or @nosc.mil, @ucsd.edu)
CSNET    : andrea%hp-sdd@hplabs.csnet
USnail   : 16399 W. Bernardo Drive, San Diego CA 92127-1899 USA

Sandeep Mehta@bebop (Sandeep Mehta) (02/01/89)

In article <1726@hp-sdd.hp.com>, andrea@hp-sdd (Andrea K. Frankel) writes:
>I found helpful a little book called "understanding PHIGS", put out by
>Template (the software side of Megatek).  You might give them a ring
>at (619) 455-5590 to see about getting a copy.
>

>Andrea Frankel, Hewlett-Packard (San Diego Division) (619) 592-4664

The SunPHIGS 1.0 release comes with some decent documentation. In
addition to the Reference manual there is a user's guide to SunPHIGS
which explains how SunPHIGS interprets features of the PHIGS standard
and goes onto give examples using both the C and FORTRAN bindings. The
thing I liked about that was the consideration given to both the
standard and the implementation. The doc. set is available
independently but costs $150 (Sun really knows where to make money :-))

sandeep
--
Sandeep Mehta                                       ...to be or not to bop !
uunet!philabs!bebop!sxm                             sxm@philabs.philips.com

lrm5110@tahoma.UUCP (Larry R. Masden) (02/02/89)

I also am interested in info on figs, any book or article
references would be appreciated.  Also, is there any public
domain programs using phigs?
--
Larry Masden       	      Voice: (206) 237-2564
Boeing Commercial Airplanes   UUCP: ..!uw-beaver!ssc-vax!shuksan!tahoma!lrm5110

tbg@apollo.COM (Tom Gross) (02/02/89)

>What I have found is that aside from the PHIGS documents available
>from the Standards Committee there seems to be little information
>on programming using PHIGS. I am interested in finding out two
>things. One, are there test programs available that you can run
>to validate that your PHIGS library routines are doing what PHIGS
>is supposed to do and two, does anyone know of any books or
>documentation that might help me program using PHIGS.

    You could order documentation for Apollo's Domain/PHIGS.
    There are two manuals available:

        Programming with Domain/PHIGS
        275 pages
        part number 009701-A00

        Domain/PHIGS Call Reference
        over 600 pages
        part number 009702-A00

    Both books cost $35 each and can be ordered by calling
    1-800-225-5290.

    I think the first book especially makes a fairly good general
    introduction to PHIGS.  It contains some simple coding examples.
    I recommend ordering the second book too if you are going to use
    Domain/PHIGS (only on an Apollo workstation) or you are a competitive
    vendor interested in the details of our PHIGS product :).

    [ I hope this message isn't too commercial.  I would be interested
    in any leads to ordering documentation for other implementations
    of PHIGS. ]

/tom