[comp.graphics] ShowScan vs. IMAX

dave@onfcanim.UUCP (Dave Martindale) (02/02/89)

In article <18070@glacier.STANFORD.EDU> jbn@glacier.UUCP (John B. Nagle) writes:

>     Showscan is a straightforward movie system using 70mm film at about 60
>frames per second.  At this speed, the illusion of motion achieved at
>24 frames per second is much improved.   The screen is also made sufficiently
>large to cover the entire human field of view.  The overall effect is said
>to approximate reality.  It can be considered a benchmark as to how good
>a display system has to be before it disappears and becomes a virtual reality.

Time to mention the *other* high-definition film system -
IMAX/OMNIMAX:

IMAX is a system that uses 15-perforation frames running horizontally -
each frame uses 3 times the film area as Showscan.  IMAX runs at a
conventional 24 frames per second.  OMNIMAX use the same film, camera,
and projectors as IMAX, except that the camera uses a sort of fisheye
lens to obtain a 180 degree field of view, and the image is projected
onto the inner surface of a dome.

Showscan and IMAX consume just about the same amount of film per second
_ Showscan runs 2.5 times as fast as normal 70mm but the frame is the
same size, while IMAX uses 3 times the film area at the normal frame
rate.  So the "data rate" is the same, but the two systems use it
differently.

The Showscan screen may be quite *wide*, but it's not very high.  The
frame size is the same as normal theatrical 70mm, 2.072 x 0.906, 5
perforations per frame.  IMAX frames are 2.032 x 2.772 inches.  (Both
figures are camera apertures; I'll ignore projector apertures for the
sake of simplicity).

If we pick an arbitrary screen width of 60 feet, a Showscan screen will
be only 26 feet high while an IMAX screen is 44 feet high.  Thus, IMAX
does a much better job of "covering the human field of view"
vertically.  Showscan does have the advantage of a brighter image on
screen, mostly because it is covering less screen.

When covering the same screen width, a Showscan frame is being
magnified 34% more than an IMAX one, so each IMAX image is sharper.  On
the other hand, projecting more images per second increases apparent
sharpness, so Showscan probably doesn't lose anything here.

Showscan uses standard 70mm equipment, modified a bit.  IMAX uses
custom-built cameras with 4 registration pins and a vacuum pressure
plate to hold the film flat.  The projectors use fixed registration
pins and hold the film flat against a glass block using compressed
air.  As a result, IMAX has very little image jitter on screen compared
with any other film format.  Note that this is not a fundamental
difference between the two formats, just a practical one.

So what's the net result?  For rapid motion, either of the camera or
the subject, Showscan looks great while IMAX images flicker and
strobe.  But when the camera and scene are stationary or moving slowly,
IMAX gives a "window into the world" quality that Showscan can't,
because of the narrower field and more jitter.  (If you get a chance,
see the footage of the earth shot from space in "Hail Columbia" -
you'll see what I mean.)  Which system is better depends on the subject
matter.

By the way, to compare this to computer displays, a good IMAX
projection print will have 40 lp/mm resolution.  That's 80 pixels/mm,
2032 pixels/inch, for an equivalent resolution of 5600 x 4130 pixels.
What sort of computer display hardware would be needed to generate that
at 24 fps?  As someone else pointed out, flight simulator people are
working on generating high resolution only where the pilot is currently
looking, with quite low resolution elsewhere, to minimize computing.
However, you can't do that with an audience of more than one.

About 3D:  IMAX and Omnimax are particularly good systems for 3-D.
Vertical misalignment between the two images of a stereo pair gives
people headaches, and vertical jitter produces this sort of
misalignment.  IMAX has very low jitter, and any jitter that remains is
mostly horizontal.  Omnimax has the potential of really surrounding you
with a 3-D environment.

3D films have been made in both IMAX and Omnimax.  If there is
interest, I can re-post an article on IMAX 3D that I originally posted
about 3 years ago.

	Dave Martindale

twgee@rose.waterloo.edu (Thomas Gee) (02/03/89)

When I was down in Texas this summer I saw an IMAX movie concerning
the early exploration of the Grand Canyon.  Although the show itself
was fascinating, and the material gave the producers a great excuse for
many breathtaking helicopter and ultralight based tours, I found that
the pictures were badly distorted at the edges of the screen.

The focal width and length of the IMAX method did not seem very large.
Outside of the most central part of the picture, the images were
blurry, as they were at the edges of the screen.  Worse, the images at
the very edges of the view were badly curved, somewhat similar to the
effect of a fisheye lens.  The scenes filmed from a helicopter flying
over Dallas (part of the IMAX introduction) emphasized this effect by
showing warped and curved buildings and streets.

All in all, however, it was thoroughly enjoyable.  'Twould be nice to
have such things here in the Great White North.  Just think of what the
hockey games would look like! :-)

The Proctor was uttered by the alleyway like an | Thomas Gee
untranslateable word.                           | CS Student, UW '90.
	-- James Blish, "Cities in Flight"          | watmath!rose!twgee