[comp.graphics] Epcot Center 3-D movie

cjl@ecsvax.uncecs.edu (Charles J. Lord) (02/02/89)

OK, no one else asked, so I will.  What is the alternate polarized
frame process used in the Capt EO film at the Epcot Kodak pavillion?
What is the frame rate?  Is it a shutter system or twin projectors?
MY two cents is that it is the best 3-D effect system I have ever seen
and whether you like the main person in the film or not, the film is
impressive and is a 'must see' at Epcot.

For those unfamiliar, the film is a long music video as such featuring
Michael Jackson.  Special effects are so-so but the 3-D is very good-
any seat in the theater feels that the actors are a few feet in front
of them.  The viewers must wear special glasses that are polarized in
perpendicular fashion.  There are a few artifacts of the other image
visible at times, but the effect leaves the red/green and the Nuoptix
far behind.
--
 *  Charles Lord               ..!decvax!mcnc!ecsvax!cjl  Usenet (old) *
 *  Cary, NC                   cjl@ecsvax.UUCP            Usenet (new) *

dave@onfcanim.UUCP (Dave Martindale) (02/02/89)

In article <6313@ecsvax.uncecs.edu> cjl@ecsvax.uncecs.edu (Charles J. Lord) writes:

>OK, no one else asked, so I will.  What is the alternate polarized
>frame process used in the Capt EO film at the Epcot Kodak pavillion?
>What is the frame rate?  Is it a shutter system or twin projectors?

It was shot with two standard 70mm cameras, using a beamsplitter mirror
to allow the lenses to get close together.  As far as I know, it's 24
FPS, but Disney likes to do things at 30 FPS sometimes so they might
have used that for Captain Eo too.

I believe projection is done by two 70mm projectors with polarizing
filters in front of each, as usual.

Any sort of shutter system that showed images for each eye alternately
would require the audience to wear glasses that also contained shutters
- rather expensive compared to simple polarizing glasses.  If you look
around SIGGRAPH, it seems that 3-D display vendors have stopped using
shutter glasses that require them to be connected to the workstation
with a wire, and switched to an active polarizing screen in front of
the CRT plus passive glasses on the viewers.

In article <6313@ecsvax.uncecs.edu> cjl@ecsvax.uncecs.edu (Charles J. Lord) writes:
>MY two cents is that it is the best 3-D effect system I have ever seen
>and whether you like the main person in the film or not, the film is
>impressive and is a 'must see' at Epcot.

	If you think Captain $E0 was good, wait until you've seen 3D done
properly.

	According to Michael Starks, an international expert on 3D, Captain
Eo suffers from a number of shortcomings, chief among them being the
excessive use of negative parallax (used to get things to leap off the
screen).  Captain Ego tried to club you over the head with enormous
parallaxes when it's not necessary.  As a result, people as far back as the
middle row will have their eyes colliding into each other when trying to
focus on anything that attempts to leap off the screen.

	They also commit the unforgiveable sin of having leap-off-the-screen
objects intersecting with the edge of the film frame (whats-her-face's
talons reaching into the audience).  This causes wildly confusing information
to get sent to your brain.

	I saw the film at DisneyLand, and the only effects that were really
effective were the opening shot of the spinning galaxy, and the holographic
"video" transmission.  There are also a couple of neat added gimmicks, such
as lasers in the theatre synchronized to laser fire on the screen.  Apart
from that, most of the 3D was completely lost on me.

	Star Tours is much better.

Leo L. Schwab -- The Guy in The Cape	INET: well!ewhac@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU
 \_ -_		Recumbent Bikes:	UUCP: pacbell > !{well,unicom}!ewhac