[comp.graphics] Portable graphics systems

lrm5110@tahoma.UUCP (Larry R. Masden) (02/09/89)

We are looking for information regarding "standard" graphics
libraries (e.g., PHIGS, GKS) which are available for Apollo,
Masscomp, and Sun workstations as well as the more powerful
PC-compatibles.  Is anything out there which supports window
manipulation of some sort, rapid screen/memory bitmap oper-
ations, viewing options such as zoom and pan, and multiple
hardcopy options such as bitmap file dumps and automated
POSTSCRIPT file creation?  What we currently work on is
implemented in Apollo GMR and GPR; we'd like to make it more
portable.  Has anybody used such a thing and liked it?

--
Larry Masden       	      Voice: (206) 237-2564
Boeing Commercial Airplanes   UUCP: ..!uw-beaver!ssc-vax!shuksan!tahoma!lrm5110

jch@apollo.COM (Jan Hardenbergh) (02/15/89)

> From: lrm5110@tahoma.UUCP (Larry R. Masden)
> Subject: Portable graphics systems

> We are looking for information regarding "standard" graphics
> libraries (e.g., PHIGS, GKS) which are available for Apollo,
> Masscomp, and Sun workstations as well as the more powerful
> PC-compatibles.  Is anything out there which supports window
> manipulation of some sort, rapid screen/memory bitmap oper-
> ations, viewing options such as zoom and pan, and multiple
> hardcopy options such as bitmap file dumps and automated
> POSTSCRIPT file creation?

Not as a standard. But it is possible to use Apollo's Domain/PHIGS
and still use GPR or X to access the bitmap. While these interactions
are device dependent and not usually documented fully there is usually
a way to get what you want accomplished. My advice would be to define
why PHIGS alone will not meet your needs and try to inlfuence PHIGS
vendors while they are in the early stages of supporting PHIGS.

Zooming and panning can be done easily in PHIGS by changing the viewing
matrices or the workstation viewport. Apollo's PHIGS (and other vendors')
supports CGM output workstation types which will create a CGM file
for hardcopy plotting. The bitmap file dumps would be up to
you to use X or GPR.

>                              What we currently work on is
> implemented in Apollo GMR and GPR; we'd like to make it more
> portable.  Has anybody used such a thing and liked it?

We are encouraging customers to use Domain/PHIGS output for 3d (and 2d)
floating point (i.e. REAL) graphics and a real X based UI for input.  To
make this combination work, Domain/PHIGS supports program initiated pick
as an extension call so that the application can do a pick on an
OUTPUT-ONLY PHIGS workstation in an X window. As this implies, we can
start up PHIGS output in an application created X window.

Domain/PHIGS supports the complete PHIGS input model (valuator, string,
choice, stroke, pick and locator logical devices) for applications
that choose PHIGS as thier portability vehicle.

PEX now officially stands for PHIGS extension to X. The API (application
interface) is PHIGS. So applications that you write now using PHIGS & X
will run on PEX. The only differences you might encounter would be for
opening workstations, window management interactions (resize, expose)
and locating the CSS (central structure store) in the server or in the
client. There may be a few other minor additions but in essence your
PHIGS programs should run unmolested.

There is a sample PEX implementation being funded by twelve companies under
the auspices of the MIT X consortium. That will not be released by MIT
for about two years.

> Larry Masden       	      Voice: (206) 237-2564

-Jan Hardenbergh                         Apollo Computer
jch@apollo.com                           330 Billerica Road
{mit-eddie,attunix}!apollo!jch           Chelmsford, MA 01824