[comp.graphics] TIFF and PCX file formats

emery@cs.utexas.edu (Emery Berger) (02/10/89)

   I am writing a program which will need the ability to input
and output files in TIFF and PCX formats.  However, I have been
unable to find any documentation anywhere on these formats.  If
anyone out there as some or can tell me where I may find some,
I would very much appreciate it.

   Please send any responses to : emery@cs.utexas.edu

--- Emery Berger
    University of Texas at Austin

arr@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Steve Cutchin) (02/10/89)

In article <170@gaigan.cs.utexas.edu>, emery@cs.utexas.edu (Emery Berger) writes:

>    I am writing a program which will need the ability to input
> and output files in TIFF and PCX formats.  However, I have been
> unable to find any documentation anywhere on these formats.  If
> anyone out there as some or can tell me where I may find some,
> I would very much appreciate it.
>
>    Please send any responses to : emery@cs.utexas.edu
>
> --- Emery Berger
>     University of Texas at Austin
		Better Yet, Please, I repeat Please Post!  I
	posted a me too letter to one of these requests for TIFF info,
	and got 3 letters asking me for the info if I got it.  So if you
	have TIFF info, please post it to the net.

			Steve C.
arr@mentor.cc.purdue.ed

		.sig under construction

hucaby@ms.uky.edu (David Hucaby) (02/10/89)

>	I posted a me too letter to one of these requests for TIFF info,
>	and got 3 letters asking me for the info if I got it.  So if you
>	have TIFF info, please post it to the net.
>
>			Steve C.

Well, I personally know nothing about TIFF file formats, but someone
did give me a copy of an article some time back that might be helpful.
(I'm posting this, since this seems to be a hot topic at present. ;-) )
Look in _Dr. Dobb's Journal_, May 1988, pp. 26- for the article entitled
"Handling Image Files with TIFF".  There is also source code printed in
the article for some TIFF manipulation.

Looks like good meaty info. I'll quote the end of the article to give
details on how to get further info.
------
"Serious developers and readers of DDJ can receive a free set of
disks for the TIFF Library Package by mentioning this article in a
request to one of two sources:
    1)  For a copy of the TIFF Library Package for the Macintosh,
	send your name and address to Bear River Associates Inc.,
	Attn: TIFF, P.O. Box 1900, Berkekey, CA 94701 or call
	415-644-9400 (9 am - 5 pm PST) and ask for TIFF Library Package.
    2)  A  similar TIFF package is available for the PC. To get this package,
	write to DEST Corp., Attn: Debra Levesque, 1201 Cadillac Ct.,
	Milpitas, CA 95035 or call 408-946-7100 and ask for Debra L.
    3)  To receive a copy of the latest version of the TIFF standard,
	to reserve a proprietary tag, or to comment on the standard,
	write to Manny Vellon, Windows Marketing Group, Microsoft Corp.,
	16011 N.E. 36th Wy., P.O. Box 97017, Redmond, WA  98073-9717."
------
Hope this stuff helps!

Dave Hucaby     		      VOICE: (606)-257-3040
University of Kentucky		      DOMAIN: hucaby@image.uky.edu
Wenner Gren Research Labs	      BITNET:
Lexington, Kentucky  40506-0070	      UUCP:
-------------------------------       ----------------------------------------
|	"There is no finer thing a machine can do than to                    |
|	 give his last transistor for his friends or township."              |
|				Don Knotts in "How to Frame a Figg"          |
-------------------------------       ----------------------------------------

aaron@madnix.UUCP (Aaron Avery) (02/11/89)

The TIFF file format was developed by Aldus Corporation and Microsoft
Corporation. I'd suggest contacting one of them and requesting the
standard TIFF documentation. The contact names on one of my documents are:
Tim Davenport at Aldus
Manny Vellon at Microsoft

Aldus is located in Seattle, Wa. and Microsoft is in Redmond, Wa.
The only phone number shown is one for Microsoft which is (206) 882-8080.

--
Aaron Avery, ASDG Inc.         "A mime is a terrible thing to waste."
                                                             -- Robin Williams

gfinney@xroads.UUCP (Guy A. Finney) (02/13/89)

Well, for those on CompuServe (gee, is it considered bad form to mention
another form of electronic interchange? Sorta like people saying "... on
another network..." on TV.), the TIFF specs are hidden in the TIFF library
in the ALDUS SIG (go aldus).

Once upon a time I called Zsoft and asked for their technical manual for
PC Paintbrush, which contained the file format(s).  They sent it to me
for free!  Their phone number is (404) 980-1950.  It's pretty reasonable,
and I suppose is the definitive statement on PCX.
--
\  /  C r o s s r o a d s  C o m m u n i c a t i o n s
 /\   (602) 941-2005 300|1200 Baud 24 hrs/day

jwi@lzfme.att.com (J.WINER) (02/17/89)

In article <170@gaigan.cs.utexas.edu>, emery@cs.utexas.edu (Emery Berger) writes:

>    I am writing a program which will need the ability to input
> and output files in TIFF and PCX formats.  However, I have been
> unable to find any documentation anywhere on these formats.  If
> anyone out there as some or can tell me where I may find some,
> I would very much appreciate it.

Please post a summary of this info when you get it as I need the
information too.

Thanks.

Jim Winer MT 4G-429 ..!lzfme!jwi