[comp.graphics] Looking for info on CGM ANSI Standard, XYVision

ftrue@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Dr. Destruction) (02/06/89)

I am looking for references on the ANSI standard "CGM" (Computer
Graphics Markup or something), which is the only ANSI standard for
computer graphics. The only manual I've been able to find is the
actual ANSI reference manuals on it, and I'll be damned if I'm
going to sit through all 28 lbs or so of them to get a brief
overview...

I am also interested in finding out more about how the word
processing system XYVision spits out CGM files.

Any info pointing to sources for CGM reference manuals or quick
reference jobbies would be muchly appreciated. Please
Email to:

    ftrue@jarthur.UUCP
or  ftrue@hmcvax.BITNET
Frederick True                         Harvey Mudd College

waynec@lion.cis.ohio-state.edu (Wayne Carlson) (02/09/89)

In article <171@jarthur.Claremont.EDU> ftrue@jarthur.UUCP (Dr. Destruction) writes:

 >I am looking for references on the ANSI standard "CGM" (Computer
 >Graphics Markup or something), which is the only ANSI standard for
 >computer graphics. The only manual I've been able to find is the
 >actual ANSI reference manuals on it, and I'll be damned if I'm
 >going to sit through all 28 lbs or so of them to get a brief
 >overview...
 >
 >I am also interested in finding out more about how the word
 >processing system XYVision spits out CGM files.
 >
 >Any info pointing to sources for CGM reference manuals or quick
 >reference jobbies would be muchly appreciated. Please
 >Frederick True                         Harvey Mudd College

CGM == Computer Graphics Metafile
Look at reference
  Arnold, DB and PR Bono, "CGM and CGI - Metafile and Interface Standards
    for Computer Graphics", Springer-Verlag, 279 pages, 103 figs, 1988,
    ISBN 3-540-18950-5 or ISBN 0-387-18950-5.

tak@hprnd.HP.COM (Tom Keaveny) (02/10/89)

> I am looking for references on the ANSI standard "CGM" (Computer
> Graphics Markup or something), which is the only ANSI standard for
> computer graphics. The only manual I've been able to find is the
> actual ANSI reference manuals on it, and I'll be damned if I'm
> going to sit through all 28 lbs or so of them to get a brief
> overview...

Gee, mine is only a half-inch thick, and relatively readable for a standard.
What are you reading?

(btw, I woudln't mind a synposis or two myself...)
----------

tak (aka tak the hack @ Roseville Networks Division)

klee@daisy.UUCP (Ken Lee) (02/11/89)

I'm sure there's an intro manual in your 28 pounds.  If you can't find
it, there's also a book out called "CGM and CGI" by Arnold & Bono,
published by Springer-Verlag.  I've never read it, but heard that it's
pretty good.

Ken Lee
--
klee@daisy.uucp
Daisy Systems Corp., Interactive Graphics Tools Dept.

twb@hoqax.UUCP (T.W. Beattie) (02/13/89)

In article <171@jarthur.Claremont.EDU> ftrue@jarthur.UUCP (Dr. Destruction) writes:
>I am looking for references on the ANSI standard "CGM" (Computer
>Graphics Markup or something), which is the only ANSI standard for
          ^^^^^^ (actually Metafile)
>computer graphics. The only manual I've been able to find is the
>actual ANSI reference manuals on it, and I'll be damned if I'm
>going to sit through all 28 lbs or so of them to get a brief
>overview...

The "CGI/CGM PRIMER" by Lucia McKay is available from
Nova Graphics International Corp.
Austin Texas
(512) 327-9300
---
Tom BeATTie
att!hoqaa!twb
t.w.beattie@att.com

jch@apollo.COM (Jan Hardenbergh) (02/15/89)

> From: ftrue@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Dr. Destruction)
> Subject: Looking for info on CGM ANSI Standard, XYVision

> I am looking for references on the ANSI standard "CGM" (Computer
> Graphics Markup or something), which is the only ANSI standard for
> computer graphics.

Computer Graphics Metafile is not the only ANSI graphics standard!

PHIGS is an ISO standard and is awaiting formalities in ANSI and GKS is
ANSI approved.

Using CGM as a plotting vehicle is a good idea.  PHIGS has CGM
workstations defined which allow the user to render her PHIGS picture
into a CGM metafile. Also, XLib is being worked on by ANSI X3H3 and
er...umhh I wouldn't place alot of emphasis on CGI until it actually
becomes a standard.

-Jan Hardenbergh                         Apollo Computer
jch@apollo.com                           330 Billerica Road
{mit-eddie,attunix}!apollo!jch           Chelmsford, MA 01824

andrea@hp-sdd.hp.com (Andrea K. Frankel) (02/17/89)

In article <2300001@hprnd.HP.COM> tak@hprnd.HP.COM (Tom Keaveny) writes:

>(btw, I woudln't mind a synposis or two myself...)

The August 1986 issue of IEEE Computer Graphics & Applications was a
special issue on graphics standards; it includes articles on CGM, VDI
aka CGI, GKS-3D, PHIGS, reference models, language bindings, and an
intro to the players and procedures involved.

Of course, some changes crept in during the final phases of the
standard's preparation (after the magazine articles were written), but I
think it's a good place to start for an overview of CGM.  The article on
CGI (to which I made a modest contribution) is probably the least useful
of the bunch, given that the CGI is *still* not done and continuing to
experience massive rewrites.

If you can't find it at your nearest techie library, you might try
calling IEEE Computer Society to see if back issues can be ordered.

Andrea Frankel, Hewlett-Packard (San Diego Division) (619) 592-4664
	"wake now!  Discover that you are the song that the morning brings..."
UUCP     : {hplabs|nosc|hpfcla|ucsd}!hp-sdd!andrea
Internet : andrea%hp-sdd@hp-sde.sde.hp.com (or @nosc.mil, @ucsd.edu)
CSNET    : andrea%hp-sdd@hplabs.csnet
USnail   : 16399 W. Bernardo Drive, San Diego CA 92127-1899 USA