[comp.graphics] CHT format graphics

msb@hal.UUCP (Monty S. Baveja) (02/14/89)

I am using Harvard Graphics to do a lot of my charting etc. The problem
I am running into is that except for PFS:First Publisher, you can not
import Harvard Graphics format (.CHT), into anything.  I would like to
incorporate these images into a Wordperfect 5.0 file or a Pagemaker file.

Is there any program out there that can be purchase or is public domain,
that would let me do this.  I am very surprised that no major word procssing
software incorporates the CHT format, considering Harvard Graphics is so
popular in the business industry.

Please e-mail or post.  Thank You.

			Monty Baveja

andrea@hp-sdd.hp.com (Andrea K. Frankel) (02/17/89)

In article <326@hal.UUCP> msb@hal.UUCP (Monty S. Baveja) writes:
>I am using Harvard Graphics to do a lot of my charting etc. The problem
>I am running into is that except for PFS:First Publisher, you can not
>import Harvard Graphics format (.CHT), into anything.  I would like to
>incorporate these images into a Wordperfect 5.0 file or a Pagemaker file.
>
>Is there any program out there that can be purchase or is public domain,
>that would let me do this.  I am very surprised that no major word procssing
>software incorporates the CHT format, considering Harvard Graphics is so
>popular in the business industry.

Try using CGM as your intermediate picture file format.  I am fairly
certain that Harvard Graphics produces CGM's, and that PageMaker imports
them; I don't know about Word Perfect.

Given that CGM is a standard, it does not make sense for software
vendors to spend alot of time supporting YAPPF (yet another proprietary
picture format ;@) when they can support CGM and be done with it!  Of
course, proprietary formats tend to be faster and have more application-
specific features if you're just working within one application; where
standards really come in handy is when you're trying to port the final
picture from one application to another.

Andrea Frankel, Hewlett-Packard (San Diego Division) (619) 592-4664
	"wake now!  Discover that you are the song that the morning brings..."
UUCP     : {hplabs|nosc|hpfcla|ucsd}!hp-sdd!andrea
Internet : andrea%hp-sdd@hp-sde.sde.hp.com (or @nosc.mil, @ucsd.edu)
CSNET    : andrea%hp-sdd@hplabs.csnet
USnail   : 16399 W. Bernardo Drive, San Diego CA 92127-1899 USA