[comp.graphics] IKONAS rds-3000

lindwall@sdsu.UUCP (John Lindwall) (02/17/89)

I'm posting this for my friend Scott.  He recently acquired an IKONAS
rds-3000 frame buffer.  He would like to hear from anyone who has one of
these so he can gether information on how to make use of it.  Apparently
the company is out of business: is this true?  If not, where can they
be reached?

Scott would like to hear from anyone with info on the IKONAS rds-3000.
(From what I gather it is a 24 bit color Frame buffer).

Please email to scott as
sts@tw-rnd.SanDiego.NCR.COM   or
scott.swazey@tw-rnd.SanDiego.NCR.COM

Thanks!

ksbooth@watcgl.waterloo.edu (Kelly Booth) (02/18/89)

In article <3500@sdsu.UUCP> lindwall@sdsu.UUCP (John Lindwall) writes:
>I'm posting this for my friend Scott.  He recently acquired an IKONAS
>rds-3000 frame buffer.  He would like to hear from anyone who has one of
>these so he can gether information on how to make use of it.  Apparently
>the company is out of business: is this true?  If not, where can they
>be reached?

They were bought out by Adage.  If you ship your Ikonas to Waterloo, we
will verify that it works (we collect them:).

falk@sun.uucp (Ed Falk) (02/18/89)

In article <3500@sdsu.UUCP>, lindwall@sdsu.UUCP (John Lindwall) writes:
> I'm posting this for my friend Scott.  He recently acquired an IKONAS
> rds-3000 frame buffer.  He would like to hear from anyone who has one of
> these so he can gether information on how to make use of it.  Apparently
> the company is out of business: is this true?  If not, where can they
> be reached?

We had one where I used to work.  A truly wonderful machine, although
big and hairy.  It has a frame buffer that can be software configured
to be 1024x1024x8 or 512x512x32.  The extra eight bits are called the
"alpha" planes and you can do various things with them.  Pixar used
them for storing compositing information, for instance.

The 32 bits, plus a cursor bit plus two more software-setable bits feed
into an optional device called the crossbar switch.  This takes the
35 input bits and re-arranges them into almost any possible combination of
34 output bits.  If you don't have a crossbar, you just send 34 of the
35 bits directly to the next stage.

The next stage is the "luvo".  It takes the 24 rgb bits and splits them
into three 8-bit channels, which are combined with the high-order two
bits (cursor + software-settable) to form 10-bit channels which are
sent into the rgb color tables and then on to the display.  A truly
versatile frame buffer.

Also, you there's another card called the BPS32 which is a simple
2900-series microcomputer -- I learned to microcode on this machine.
The BPS32 performs a full complement of transform and painting operations
and it's easy to write your own ucode.  There's a standard ucode package
called IDL which, when loaded, interprets a higher-level graphics language.
You can also get C compilers and so on.

Next, there's *another* microprocessor called the MA1024 which is a matrix
multiply engine.  This works in conjunction with the BPS32.

Next, there's *another* microprocessor which is specially geared for
painting to the frame buffer.  In particular, it does polygon fill with
blinding speed.  I left my job before I got much chance to play with
this one though.

Also, there's a 68000 board you can get, and you can even get unix for
it.  We only used it to drive devices though.

Anyway, Ikonas was bought by Adage and I don't know what Adage is doing
with it.  The people who founded Ikonas went on to found Trancept which
invented the Taac machine for the sun, which is like a second-generation
Ikonas.  Sun then bought Trancept which is now a division of sun I think.

Both the Ikonas and the Taac have developed cult followings.

Disclaimer: I'm mostly talking from my experiences at my previous job,
and I'm somewhat fuzzy on the details since then.
--
		-ed falk, sun microsystems
		 sun!falk, falk@sun.com