[comp.graphics] Octree

winfnws@dutrun.UUCP (Aadjan van der Helm) (02/13/89)

I would like to ask if someone has the sources of a ray tracer using
an Octree for me. As long as it uses an Octree like structure any
code is welcome. So please no ray tracer which uses spatial enumaration,
I have one of myself.

	Many Thanks in advance, Groetjes   Atje.

jesse@ut-emx.UUCP (J. Driver) (02/17/89)

In article <642@dutrun.UUCP>, winfnws@dutrun.UUCP (Aadjan van der Helm) writes:
> I would like to ask if someone has the sources of a ray tracer using
> an Octree for me. As long as it uses an Octree like structure any
> code is welcome. So please no ray tracer which uses spatial enumaration,
> I have one of myself.
>
> 	Many Thanks in advance, Groetjes   Atje.

   If you are working in the academic environment, you can purchase the

source code for DORE, which includes an octree raytracer for $250. This will

also include a support number. Mike Kaplan, the original publisher of the

octree ray tracing paper was the chief architect for this program. We just

recieved the portable DORE package, installed it on our Sun, and are now

octree raytracing. You may reach Ardent at (408) 732 0400.

ph@miro.Berkeley.EDU (Paul Heckbert) (02/18/89)

In article <10563@ut-emx.UUCP> jesse@ut-emx.UUCP (J. Driver) writes:
>... Mike Kaplan, the original publisher of the
>octree ray tracing paper was the chief architect for this program [DORE] ...

Just to set the record straight, Andrew Glassner wrote the first paper on
octree ray tracing:

    %A Andrew S. Glassner
    %T Space Subdivision for Fast Ray Tracing
    %J IEEE Computer Graphics and Applications
    %V 4
    %N 10
    %D Oct. 1984
    %P 15-22

Kaplan wrote a paper on octree ray tracing which appeared in the 1985 siggraph
tutorial notes in which I believe he failed to cite Glassner's work.
Did Kaplan ever get his paper published for real (i.e. in a journal)?

Paul Heckbert, CS grad student
508-7 Evans Hall, UC Berkeley		UUCP: ucbvax!miro.berkeley.edu!ph
Berkeley, CA 94720			ARPA: ph@miro.berkeley.edu