[comp.graphics] Sun cgi help

clyne@redcloud.ucar.edu (John Clyne) (02/14/89)

Could someone tell me how to detect the type of device. i.e color or
monochrome, programatically on a Sun. I need to initialize Sun's cgi
library and have apriori knowledge of the device. Cgi itself does
not seem to support this.

Thanks in advance - jc

	John Clyne
	(clyne@bierstadt.ucar.edu)
	P.O. 3000
	Boulder, Co. 80302

hart@leadsv.UUCP (Howard Hart) (02/19/89)

In article <1399@ncar.ucar.edu> clyne@redcloud.ucar.edu.UUCP () writes:
>Could someone tell me how to detect the type of device. i.e color or
>monochrome, programatically on a Sun. I need to initialize Sun's cgi

See page 109 of the Sunview programmer's manual or look through the
last few months of Sunspots articles. I think someone has posted a
new way to check screen depth about once a week there :-). The basic
idea is define and open a pixwin, then reference the screen depth via:

Pixwin *pw;
int depth = pw->pw_pixrect->pr_depth;

where depths of 1 mean monochrome and depths > 1 (8 bits deep) mean
color displays.

--
Howard C. Hart                      UUCP: { sun!sunncal, pyramid }!leadsv!hart
Lockheed Missiles and Space Co.