[comp.graphics] Open Mouth. Insert Foot. BYTE.

richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) (02/18/89)

(Followups to rec.mag)

Of course BYTE cancelled their computer graphics photo layout because of
too many Amiga entries.  BYTE is a PC magazine.

Although it is a bit like cancelling the race because too many
Porsches showed up.

--
               Lotus Super Seven Series III.  Too fast to race.
   BYTE computer graphics photo layout cancelled.  Too many Amiga entries.

[ Note:  I have cancelled the original article. ]

	After posting my flame to BIX, there was a rather rapid response from
Fred Langa, Editor In Chief of BYTE Magazine.  It would appear that my
original posting was formulated with incomplete facts.

	Excerpts of his postings follow:
--------
[ ... ]
We would have run the gallery-type piece if we had had enough available
pages. I don't know who said we killed the piece *because* it was
mostly Amigan, but that's wrong. I know it's wrong, because I'm
the one who killed the piece.

Why did I kill it? Because we had more articles than we could fit, and I
chose instead to run with a meaty technical feature that compares and
contrasts Amiga graphics with PS/2s and Macs. My belief is that a
technical article has more lasting value than several pages of
demonstration images, however good-looking. So, the technical article
on Amigas is running; the gallery of pretty screens is not.

We still will run one gorgeous screen on the cover of the graphics supplement.
I don't know if it's Amigan or not: I didn't ask. When the Art Director
and I selected the cover image, we went solely on visual appearance
and didn't even consider which pc architecture produced the image.

If anyone can infer an anti-amiga conspiracy in all this, my hat's off
to you.

Again: the LEAD ARTICLE in the whole d***** supplement focusses
heavily on Amigas. If that's not enough for you, I'm very sorry.
--------
[ In a later posting, Mr. Langa writes: ]

[ ... ]  Oh, BTW, I did go back and check; the Graphic
Supplement cover *is* an Amiga-generated image.  [ ... ]
--------

	I would emphasize that, at the time, I firmly believed that I had
all the relevant facts.  It appears that I was in error.

					Schwab

Classic_-_Concepts@cup.portal.com (02/20/89)

> Of course BYTE cancelled their computer graphics photo layout because of
  too many Amiga entries.  BYTE is a PC magazine.  (R. Sexton)

No way.  BYTE is "The Small Systems Journal".  It says right on the cover.  If
it's not, that's false advertising, n'est ce pas?

Leo, thank you for printing that letter.  You can be SURE I will write to
BYTE.  It's not the first time.  When I cancelled my subscription (I have
been buying BYTE off the newstand for about 6 years, I think) and have sub-
scribed once or twice, I wrote and said the reason was unbalanced biased
coverage and Jerry P's immature and biased editorializing.  I have not bought
it since and do not intend to as long as the quality is so severely compro-
mised.
                                                         \_
                                                          )\_            _/
                                                          `/)\_     __  //
        __ _____________________________________________   `\\)\_  / '~//
       ///  Julie Petersen  (LadyHawke@cup.portal.com       `\\//\\/|'//'
      ///           Classic_-_Concepts@cup.portal.com)       (\/Yyyy/'
__   ///  "There are days when spelling Tuesday simply      /Yyyy/'
\\\ ///  doesn't count."- Rabbit in Winnie the Pooh        //\\   LadyHawke
 \\/// _______________________________________________    ///\\\

josef@ugun21.UUCP (02/20/89)

In his note, Schwab (ewhac@well.UUCP) writes:

 > 	Odd -- isn't it? -- how BYTE's masthead no longer proclaims, "The
 > Small Systems Journal."  What is your editorial slant now, gentlemen?
 >
 > 	I invite comment on this.  All concerned parties are invited to
 > participate.

I have been a BYTE reader for some time now (a  couple of years).
When I started reading BYTE, they claimed in their "What's New" section
that the information published should be
	"...of interest to the personal computer experimenters and
	homebrewers who read BYTE,..."

When You look into one of the latest issues of BYTE, You'll find, among
other things, that Steve "Master of all personal computer experimenters
and homebrewers" Ciarcia is no longer with BYTE!
If You then look at the articles and products featured in BYTE, You'll
find that they show IBM PCs, -look alikes, -feel-alikes, -sound-alikes
etc. whose only distinguishing mark is ... that they are completely
identical (otherwise they wouldn't be compatible, would they).

As I am neither an IBM-"USER" nor can afford laser-printers in the $1000
range, I will dis-continue my subscription as of April this year (that's
when my current subscription ends).

I can only tell those people that are still interested in experimenting
and homebrewing to get actively involved in Steve Ciarcia's new magazine
"Circuit Cellar INK"

		Josef Moellers

	paper mail:			e-mail:
c/o Nixdorf Computer AG		USA:  uunet!linus!nixbur!mollers.pad
Abt. EG-3			!USA: mcvax!unido!nixpbe!mollers.pad
Unterer Frankfurter Weg
D-4790 Paderborn
tel.: (+49) 5251 104691

Standard disclaimer: Blablabla opinion blablabla employer blablabla!

PPS: I am in no way connected to Circuit Cellar INK nor to anybody
connected with it, I only hold a subscription.

daveh@cbmvax.UUCP (Dave Haynie) (02/23/89)

in article <14857@cup.portal.com>, Classic_-_Concepts@cup.portal.com says:

>> Of course BYTE cancelled their computer graphics photo layout because of
>   too many Amiga entries.  BYTE is a PC magazine.  (R. Sexton)

> No way.  BYTE is "The Small Systems Journal".  It says right on the cover.

The operative word here is "said".  It doesn't say that any more.  BYTE is
currently a PC magazine, which an occasional bit of Macintosh thrown in as
a token "non-PC" system.

>        ///  Julie Petersen  (LadyHawke@cup.portal.com       `\\//\\/|'//'
--
Dave Haynie  "The 32 Bit Guy"     Commodore-Amiga  "The Crew That Never Rests"
   {uunet|pyramid|rutgers}!cbmvax!daveh      PLINK: D-DAVE H     BIX: hazy

In article <14857@cup.portal.com> Classic_-_Concepts@cup.portal.com writes:
>> Of course BYTE cancelled their computer graphics photo layout because of
>  too many Amiga entries.  BYTE is a PC magazine.  (R. Sexton)

	As it turns out, this was NOT the reason.  In fact, they put one
of the entries for that on the cover instead.  The entry was created on
an Amiga.  So please, don't cry wolf too much, it doesn't help the Amiga
community to get a reputation for that (it already has too much of it now).

	Oh, and don't forget they replaced the pictures with a comparison of
the Amiga's, Mac's, and (something elses) graphics capabilities.  The type
of article I do want to see in byte.  I haven't seen the article, but having
Amiga in the comparison (and having a comparison at all) is a step forward.

>No way.  BYTE is "The Small Systems Journal".  It says right on the cover.  If
>it's not, that's false advertising, n'est ce pas?

	I agree Byte has gone way downhill, BUT it has been getting better
in the last year or so (last febuary was the low point in my mind - it
annoyed me so much I started a giant discussion on BIX about it - it turned out
the (then) new editor, Fred Langa, agreed.  We disagree on a number of points,
but he HAS improved it in the last year.

>Leo, thank you for printing that letter.  You can be SURE I will write to
>BYTE.  It's not the first time.  When I cancelled my subscription (I have
>been buying BYTE off the newstand for about 6 years, I think) and have sub-
>scribed once or twice, I wrote and said the reason was unbalanced biased
>coverage and Jerry P's immature and biased editorializing.  I have not bought
>it since and do not intend to as long as the quality is so severely compro-
>mised.

	Sure, Jerry is not know for his restraint or unbiased reporting.  He can
be a real pain at times.  But he does write well.

	If you write Byte, don't say "put more amiga articles in".  Say
"more technical articles, less reviews."  If they have more technical articles,
more amiga articles will come, I'm quite sure.  It's the damn PC reviews that
are/were crowding out everything else.

	And try to avoid sounding like a net flame.... :-)  Net-style flames
aren't likely to get read real well... :-)

--
Randell Jesup, Commodore Engineering {uunet|rutgers|allegra}!cbmvax!jesup

todd@stiatl.UUCP (Todd Merriman) (02/23/89)

In article <6048@cbmvax.UUCP> daveh@cbmvax.UUCP (Dave Haynie) writes:

>> No way.  BYTE is "The Small Systems Journal".  It says right on the cover.

It should be called "The Small Minds Journal".  I don't intend to
read another issue.

	...!gatech!stiatl!todd
	Todd Merriman 404-377-8638
	Atlanta, GA

shaver@atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu (Dave Shaver) (02/26/89)

In article <16400006@ugun21> josef@ugun21.UUCP writes:
>I can only tell those people that are still interested in experimenting
>and homebrewing to get actively involved in Steve Ciarcia's new magazine
>"Circuit Cellar INK"

I must agree.  I was a charter subscriber and really enjoyed the first
year of the magazine.

I've been a BYTE subscriber for a little over six years, yet I'm going
to let my subscription expire this May.  I'd say today's BYTE is really
only good for for the ads.  But ..... that's why I have a subscription to
Computer Shopper.  (Does anyone else remember the early issues of CS?
That yellow newsprint was great!)

/\  Dave Shaver  -=*=-  CS Systems Support Group, Iowa State University
\\  UUCP:  {hplabs!hp-lsd, uunet!umix!sharkey}!atanasoff!shaver
\/  Internet: shaver@atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu

consult@osiris.UUCP (Unix Consultation Mailbox ) (02/28/89)

In article <843@atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu> shaver@atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu (Dave Shaver) writes:
>I've been a BYTE subscriber for a little over six years, yet I'm going
>to let my subscription expire this May.

Funny, all these people who just now decided that BYTE has become YAPCJ
(Yet Another PC Journal) - I thought it was already YAPCJ when I dropped
my sub back in 1981.  Did I miss a renaissance or something?

I like magazines that show me how to really *do* things.  If I want to
read a hundred reviews of software and hardware that I'll never buy, I
can subscribe Mini/Micro-Systems Journal (another outrageously misnamed
publication).

Phil Kos