[comp.graphics] fill algorithms

carroll@s.cs.uiuc.edu (02/23/89)

I have a friend who's looking for an area fill algorithm that takes boundary
conditions (such as EQ, NEQ to some color). We've checked the standard
references, but they either don't have it or have the ``push the point and
go all 4 directions'' algorithm, which is unacceptable. Please send E-mail
with either algorithms or pointers to references. Many thanks!

Alan M. Carroll          "How many danger signs did you ignore?
carroll@s.cs.uiuc.edu     How many times had you heard it all before?" - AP&EW
CS Grad / U of Ill @ Urbana    ...{ucbvax,pur-ee,convex}!s.cs.uiuc.edu!carroll

fishkin@pixar.UUCP (Ken Fishkin) (02/28/89)

In article <207400001@s.cs.uiuc.edu> carroll@s.cs.uiuc.edu writes:

>I have a friend who's looking for an area fill algorithm that takes boundary
>conditions (such as EQ, NEQ to some color). We've checked the standard
>references, but they either don't have it or have the ``push the point and
>go all 4 directions'' algorithm, which is unacceptable.

Try any or all of these:

    Marc S. Levoy, "Area Flooding Algorithms".
Presented at SIGGRAPH '82 2-D Animation Tutorial.
    Uri Shani, "Filling Regions in Binary Raster Images: A Graph-Theoretic
Approach", pp. 321-327, SIGGRAPH '80.
    Alvy Ray Smith, "Tint Fill", pp. 276-283, SIGGRAPH '79.
    Alvy Ray Smith, "Fill Tutorial Notes", presented at '82 SIGGRAPH
2-D Animation Tutorial.
    Ken Fishkin, "An Analysis and Algorithm for Filling Propogation",
pp. 203-212, Graphics Interface '85.
--
Ken Fishkin	...{ucbvax,sun}!pixar!fishkin