[comp.graphics] Image Compression Algorithms

dudkl@dcatla.UUCP (Danny K. Llewallyn) (03/09/88)

I am looking for image compression algorithms.  Are they published
as CCITT standards?

Thanks for your response in advance,

Danny.

rhj@wdl1.UUCP (Bob Jones) (03/11/88)

> I am looking for image compression algorithms.  Are they published
> as CCITT standards?

----------

There are three image compression algorithms published as CCITT group
III, group IV, and group III 2/d which are oriented towards compression
of text and line art images.  I don't have copies of the standards, but
I remember reading a big red book with them described in detail. Sorry
that I can't be of further help.

Bob Jones

dudkl@dcatla.UUCP (Danny K. Llewallyn) (10/05/88)

I am trying to find specifications on Image Compression Algorithms.
Can anyone tell me where I can find out about the MMR (Modified
Modified Read) algorithm and the RL4 (Run-Length 4) Algorithms?

			  Thanks in Advance,

			  Danny Llewallyn
			  gatech!dcatla!dudkl

trichard@udenva.cair.du.edu (J. Thomas Richardson) (03/08/89)

I am looking for a fast data compression algorithm for digital image
files (TARGA).  If anyone could email me the sources of books, articles,etc.
where such algorithms might be discussed, I would greatly appreciate it.
I would also be interested in knowing about "favorite" or "non-documented"
algorithms used in recent applications.  I need an algorithm that will
work well "on the fly".  Much appreciated!

Thomas Richardson

email:  trichard@orion.cair.du.edu  or trichard@DUCAIR.BITNET
USmail:  2075 So. University Blvd., P.O. BOX 105, Denver, CO 80210

jesse@ut-emx.UUCP (J. Driver) (03/09/89)

In article <11357@duorion.cair.du.edu>, trichard@udenva.cair.du.edu (J. Thomas Richardson) writes:

> I am looking for a fast data compression algorithm for digital image
> files (TARGA).  If anyone could email me the sources of books, articles,etc.
> where such algorithms might be discussed, I would greatly appreciate it.
> I would also be interested in knowing about "favorite" or "non-documented"
> algorithms used in recent applications.  I need an algorithm that will
> work well "on the fly".  Much appreciated!
>
> Thomas Richardson
>
> email:  trichard@orion.cair.du.edu  or trichard@DUCAIR.BITNET
> USmail:  2075 So. University Blvd., P.O. BOX 105, Denver, CO 80210
Thomas,

  I work at the Center for High Performance Computing at the University
of Texas. Recently, we learned of the SCRY image compression suite of
programs. This public domain software package was announced at Supercomputing
'88, and uses several image compression methods which have been published
over the years in the SIGGRAPH proceedings. For ftp-ing the stuff (login:
"anonymous" password: "guest") go to csam.lbl.gov, 128.3.254.6 .
This distribution is just over 1MBy in compressed form. Look in the
/pub/scry.tar.Z directory(use binary mode with ftp). We have compiled
this code to work on our Sun 3's. With OS 4.0 we had to change one
line in the code.  SCRY performs more than just image compression, however
this is what we are initially interested in. There are a whole suite of these
compression methods in the package, which you may chose based on your image
characteristics . I recommend this package. - Happy Compressing, Jesse Driver.