[comp.graphics] VME D32 frame grabber wanted

guy@SHERLOCK.PC.CS.CMU.EDU (Guy Jacobson) (02/25/89)

I'm looking to buy several frame grabber/frame buffer boards.  Here are my
minimum specifications:

   *) VMEbus card, A32 or A24, D32
   *) about 512x512 pixels x 8 bits/pixel
   *) one video input, rgb video output via color lookup table

It should be able to digitize in snapshot or continuous mode.  No fancy
features nor piles of extra VRAM are needed---I just want a reasonably fast
board.  Note that I specifically desire a board capable of doing 32-bit VME
data transfers (4 pixels at a shot); this is the one feature that seems to
be hard to get.

Can anyone recommend a product that fits my needs?  Thanks,  Guy.

--
Guy Jacobson			  Department of Computer Science
Carnegie Mellon 	arpanet : guy@cs.cmu.edu

berry@loiosh.s1.gov (Berry Kercheval) (03/15/89)

In article <4350@pt.cs.cmu.edu>, guy@SHERLOCK (Guy Jacobson) writes:
>I'm looking to buy several frame grabber/frame buffer boards.  Here are my
>minimum specifications:
>
>   *) VMEbus card, A32 or A24, D32
>   *) about 512x512 pixels x 8 bits/pixel
>   *) one video input, rgb video output via color lookup table
>
>It should be able to digitize in snapshot or continuous mode.  No fancy
>features nor piles of extra VRAM are needed---I just want a reasonably fast
>board.  Note that I specifically desire a board capable of doing 32-bit VME
>data transfers (4 pixels at a shot); this is the one feature that seems to
>be hard to get.
>
>Can anyone recommend a product that fits my needs?  Thanks,  Guy.

I've been using a Data Translation DT1451 Frame grabber that has all
the above.  It actually has 4 video inputs, slowscan capability and a
port for an optional processor.  IT will also do a limited amount of
processing on 2 frames.  Inputs have chroma stripped, I'm sorry to say.
  If you get it, be aware that no board registers will respond while
the board is BUSY (except the one with the BUSY bit in it.)  THis
caused me many bus write error crashes until I hacked the trap vector
to not panic the kernel, and I could find out what the problem is.
  Also, the image memory will not support anything but byte transfers.
Don't use bcopy!
  This is not to say it's a bad board, just has a few quirks.  Don't
they all?

  --berry