[comp.graphics] GIF file repositories

ART100@PSUVM.BITNET (Andy Tefft) (03/06/89)

Can anyone send me a list of FTP sites that store GIF pictures??

The only one I know of is umn-cs.umn.edu, which has quite a few, but
they're in Apple format. Recently programs have been posted on
comp.binaries.apple2 to decode these right under unix, so I have
been happily ftp'ing and converting GIF files from there, but
now I'm looking for more.

If anyone knows of FTP sites, please tell me, and also if anyone wants some
of the pictures from umn-cs.umn.edu (I think they're available elsewhere)
and can't get the decoding programs, email me and I'll mail the sources
to you. These pictures are nice anyway since they're in a text format.

Thanks...

Andy

art100@psuvm.bitnet / a1t@ecl.psu.edu for replies,
a1t@psusun01.psu.edu for requests for the sources

fmr@cwi.nl (Frank Rahmani) (03/07/89)

> Can anyone send me a list of FTP sites that store GIF pictures??
That's what I've got. Checked out all ok.
            Anonymous FTP sites with GIF files (2/13/88)
a.cs.uiuc.edu		10.3.0.37		/pub/kadie/gif
grape.ecs.clarkson.edu	128.153.13.196		/c/files/gif
hubcap.clemson.edu	192.5.219.1		/pub/gif
simtel20.army.mil				PD1:<MSDOS.GIF>
sumex.stanford.edu	36.44.0.6		/info-mac/art/gif *
surya.waterloo.edu	129.97.129.72		/images/gif
which will take these files and convert them into regular .GIF files.
Subject: Fuzzy BitMap routines, GIF, PCX, Sun, Amiga
# 128.114.133.1	ssyx.ucsc.edu		# atari sources/binaries, gifs
# 129.97.129.72	surya.waterloo.edu      # gifs, tiff format
# 192.5.219.1	hubcap.clemson.edu	# GIF files, RFCs
# 128.114.133.1	ssyx.ucsc.edu		# atari sources/binaries, gifs
# 129.97.129.72	surya.waterloo.edu      # gifs, tiff format
> to you. These pictures are nice anyway since they're in a text format.

Yes.but you forget to mention that they are in a directory
pub/apple/gif and I just didn't look under apple :-)
> Thanks...
You're welkom and thank you for your stuff.

> Andy
> a1t@psusun01.psu.edu for requests for the sources
fmr@cwi.nl
(European giffers can get it from me by mail)
--
It is better never to have been born. But who among us has such luck?
Maintainer's Motto:

bal@drutx.ATT.COM (LesebergB) (03/15/89)

in article <830@sering.cwi.nl>, fmr@cwi.nl (Frank Rahmani) says:

>> Can anyone send me a list of FTP sites that store GIF pictures??

Ok, I got the list.  Now could someone tell me how to get to these
files for those of us new to this kind of thing.
   ____   _______    _____    _______      -------
  / __ \ |__   __|  /   _ \  |__   __|   -====------   Brad Leseberg
 |_|  |_|   |_|     \_____/     |_|        -------     ...!att!drutx!bal

slr@apple.com (Steve Ray) (03/16/89)

In article <10651@drutx.ATT.COM> bal@drutx.ATT.COM (LesebergB) writes:
> in article <830@sering.cwi.nl>, fmr@cwi.nl (Frank Rahmani) says:
> >
> >> Can anyone send me a list of FTP sites that store GIF pictures??
>
> Ok, I got the list.  Now could someone tell me how to get to these
> files for those of us new to this kind of thing.

I would also be interested in this list, although I missed the origonal
posting.

slr@apple.com

asd@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Kareth) (03/16/89)

In article <830@sering.cwi.nl> fmr@cwi.nl (Frank Rahmani) writes:

>> Can anyone send me a list of FTP sites that store GIF pictures??

Could someone forward this list to me also?  The replies to this message
had sites, but it seemed very garbled and I would like the complete listing.

Thanks.

kareth.

bal@drutx.ATT.COM (LesebergB) (03/17/89)

in article <10651@drutx.ATT.COM>, bal@drutx.ATT.COM (LesebergB) says:

> Ok, I got the list.

Ok, stop the presses, I jumped the gun.  I do have a list, but it's
only a few sites that have already posted here recently.  Sorry it isn't
what everyone is looking for.

I've got FTP here, but looks like my site doesn't support it except
for other AT&T sites.  Oh well, I tried.