[comp.graphics] True Imaging magazine

jonathan@jvc.UUCP (Jonathan Hue) (03/16/89)

I picked up a copy of some rag called "True Imaging Magazine".  It's
oriented toward PC+TARGA board users.  The content is pretty atrocious,
but there are ads for all kinds of applications, including a few pages
for a company called i.m.a.g.e., who sells applications for:

1) Cosmetic surgery and dental modification
2) hair styling, hair coloring, hair replacement, eye wear, cosmetic
   application.
3) Architectural and Landscape Design
4) Presentation Graphics
5) Interior design
6) Clothing and Textile design

Jonathan Hue		uunet!jvc!jonathan

Classic_-_Concepts@cup.portal.com (03/19/89)

Jonathan Hue writes "The content is pretty atrocious ...", but I think
he may be evaluating it from a technical viewpoint (it's obvious from
Jonathan's previous posts that he's intelligent and technically-
    For the many artists and graphic artists out there who have never
had a math course, have never used computers before and are looking for
straightforward, lay descriptions of how to solve computer-related graphics
problems, I think True Imaging is one of the better sources.  If you're
looking for source code, algorithms, state-of-the-art information on
computer graphics, this is not the journal for you.  But if you do fall
into the first category, give it a look, it has lots of graphic examples.
                                            LadyHawke@cup.portal.com

In article <15971@cup.portal.com>, Classic_-_Concepts@cup.portal.com writes:
>     For the many artists and graphic artists out there who have never
> had a math course, have never used computers before and are looking for
> straightforward, lay descriptions of how to solve computer-related graphics
> problems, I think True Imaging is one of the better sources.  If you're
> looking for source code, algorithms, state-of-the-art information on
> computer graphics, this is not the journal for you.  But if you do fall
> into the first category, give it a look, it has lots of graphic examples.
>                                             LadyHawke@cup.portal.com

Er, I think I somewhat agree with you. I subscribe to True Imaging. It's not
the best mag but I like it well enough.

You try to make it sound like it's only for the comuter illiterate though.

The way I see it is like this:

If you are into the technical/programming side of graphics, then TI is not
the magazine for you. Rather, It deals with how to work with the hardware and
software that those technical/programming people made. If you want to learn
new ways of producing quality artwork, and want to know how to use your Targa
board and TIPS and RIO software to it's fullest, then I recommend the mag for
you. But it is not for the computer illiterate. You still need to know how to
run your programs and use your computer.

I consider myself a fairly technically oriented guy. I regularly use Ray
tracers, 3d modellers, Autocad, Paint programs on my Amiga and 386 based Unix
machine at work, I know enough about AmigaDOS, Unix, VMS, RSTS/E, RSX, MSDOS to
more than get by, so I am by no means a 'newby', But.. I don't consider myself
a programmer either. I couldn't write a ray tracer if my life depended on it. I
know enough 'c' to write small programs, debug other's programs that I
download, and run the compiler. I am more into what I can do with the
computer's programs than what programs I can write for the computer.

Let's say it's for the computer graphics USER not the graphics PROGRAMMER.

It deals exclusively with AT&T Targa boards and software, but I find a lot
of the techniques discussed are of a broad enough nature to be equally relevant
in other computer graphics environments, such as my Amiga.

--
John Sparks   |  {rutgers|uunet}!ukma!corpane!sparks  | D.I.S.K. 24hrs 1200bps
______________|          sparks@corpane.UUCP          | 502/968-5401 thru -5406

186,000 miles per second: it's not just a good idea, it's the law.