[comp.graphics] Books on Computational Geometry

flynn@pixel.cps.msu.edu (03/23/89)

Does anyone have a copy of `Algorithms in Combinatorial Geometry' by
H.  Edelsbrunner?  How does it compare to Preparata and Shamos' book
(do they complement each other or is it a waste of money to buy both)?
I'm trying to decide whether to buy the `corrected and expanded' P&S or
pick up Edelsbrunner instead.

Thx
Pat
--
Pat Flynn, CS, Mich. State U. | "What kind of chump do you take me for?" -Nick
flynn@cps.msu.edu             | "First Class!" -Rocky Rococo

markov@ruuinf.UUCP (dr.m.h. overmars) (03/24/89)

In article <2256@cps3xx.UUCP>, flynn@pixel.cps.msu.edu writes:
> Does anyone have a copy of `Algorithms in Combinatorial Geometry' by
> H.  Edelsbrunner?  How does it compare to Preparata and Shamos' book
> (do they complement each other or is it a waste of money to buy both)?
> I'm trying to decide whether to buy the `corrected and expanded' P&S or
> pick up Edelsbrunner instead.

The two books are very different. The Preparata Shamos book is a basic
introduction in the field. The Edelsbrunner book is much more mathematically
and deals in particular with the aspects of discrete geometry that can be
used in computational geometry. Although not strictly required it helps a lot
to read Preparata's book before starting with Edelsbrunners book.

Mark Overmars
Mark Overmars                                                  |\/|
Dept. of Comp. Science, University of Utrecht,                 |  |ark
P.O. Box 80.089, 3508 TB Utrecht, the Netherlands    E-mail: hp4nl!ruuinf!markov