[comp.graphics] Capturing screens to TIFF or PCX

harper@cc.helsinki.fi (ROBERT HARPER FINLAND) (03/23/89)

A friend has written some programmes which are menu driven and he would
like to capture the screens into TIFF or PXC files so that he can then
import them into Ventura, so that they can be part of a manual. Does
anyone know of a Utility for doing this kind of thing?

-=ROB=-

Classic_-_Concepts@cup.portal.com (03/27/89)

  I believe a utility called 'Frieze" (pun on freeze) captures files via
a hotkey and stores them in .PCX format.  But don't quote me, I'm digging
back into memory banks and I've only used it twice.  I'm afraid I don't
know the publisher of the utility.  It may be part of an authoring package
such as LS1 or TenCore.                        LH

kaufman@maxzilla.Encore.COM (Lar Kaufman) (03/27/89)

In article <16279@cup.portal.com> Classic_-_Concepts@cup.portal.com writes:

>  I believe a utility called 'Frieze" (pun on freeze) captures files via
>a hotkey and stores them in .PCX format.  But don't quote me, I'm digging
>back into memory banks and I've only used it twice.  I'm afraid I don't
>know the publisher of the utility.  It may be part of an authoring package
>such as LS1 or TenCore.                        LH

"Frieze" came as part of my Logipaint software, bundled with the
Logitech Logimouse mouse I bought. (This was some time ago.) I was
under the impression that "Frieze" was part of the PC Paintbrush
package that Logitech was repackaging; PC Paintbrush is a product of
ZSoft Corporation, of (Marietta?*) Georgia. I have never used Frieze,
but I understand it can be used as a video capture tool. I don't think
that the version I have, at least, could handle TIFF images. Maybe the
newer versions can.

    -lar

 * I'm not sure it is in Marietta, but it's in some northern suburb of
   Atlanta.

   -lar
   "It's about a man, two women, and a revolution.  What could be
   simpler than that?"                              - Roger Ebert

 Lar Kaufman <= my opinions                       kaufman@Encore.com

mason@tc.fluke.COM (Nick Mason) (03/28/89)

In article <3122@cc.helsinki.fi> harper@cc.helsinki.fi (ROBERT HARPER FINLAND) writes:
>A friend has written some programmes which are menu driven and he would
>like to capture the screens into TIFF or PXC files so that he can then
>import them into Ventura, so that they can be part of a manual. Does
>anyone know of a Utility for doing this kind of thing?

a program that can capture and convert between different formats is
hijaak from Inset systems.

phone 203-775-5866
fax# 203-775-5634

Taken from the manual:

	File type	direction	extension
	Amiga		s/d		.IFF
	compuserve	s/d		.GIF
	HP laserjet	s/d		.HPC
	Inset/hijack	s/d		.PIX
	Lotus		s		.PIC
	Macintosh	s/d		.MAC
	PC Paintbrush	s/d		.PCX
	Postscript	d		.PSC
	Scanner TIFF	s/d		.TIF
	Text		s/d		.TXT
	DrHalo		s/d		.CUT

	direction: s=source file, D=destination.

	My experience is that you really have to try it and
	see what happens.   For example, it only supports
	B/W drhalo cut files.   It seems to support PC
	paintbrush really well, which is what I care about,
	and it makes .EPS (encapulasted postscript files)
	which isn't even in the above table.

Nick Mason/ms272G/John Fluke Mfg Co/Box C9090/Everett WA 98206 USA
   mason@tc.fluke.COM
UUCP:
 {{cornell,decvax,sdcsvax,tektronix,utcsrgv}!uw-beaver} \
{microsoft,gatech!sb1,hplabs!lbl-csam,decwrl!sun,sunup} - !fluke!mason
		 {ssc-vax,hplsla,wavetek,uw-vlsi,tikal} /
ARPA: fluke!mason@uw-beaver.ARPA
BITNET: "fluke!mason@uw-beaver.ARPA"@PSUVAX1.bitnet
"Avoid the Dull and Ignorant"