[comp.graphics] Computer Graphics & Entertainment

dseah@wpi.wpi.edu (David I Seah) (03/27/89)

Someone once told me that George Lucas would never do another Star Wars until
he could have computer animate realistic-looking starships.  When I watch the
beginning of Star Trek The Next Generation (with the whizzing planets), I
thought that the whole thing was computer generated.  Is this true?  Are the
vessels used in the series also computer generated?

cs161agc@sdcc10.ucsd.EDU (John Schultz) (03/27/89)

In article <1530@wpi.wpi.edu> dseah@wpi.wpi.edu (David I Seah) writes:
>Someone once told me that George Lucas would never do another Star Wars until
>he could have computer animate realistic-looking starships.  When I watch the
>beginning of Star Trek The Next Generation (with the whizzing planets), I
>thought that the whole thing was computer generated.  Is this true?  Are the
>vessels used in the series also computer generated?

  Everything is computer generated.  If you've seen Pixar's "The Tin
Toy", then you've seen the state of the art in computer animation.
The film "The Last Starfighter" was the first completely computer
generated "space film".  No plastics here.  That was years ago.
Today, we've got better computer animation on Fox (STTNG).  When we
can have that kind of power real-time, then we'll be having fun yet, right?
This summer (and now) it's "Star Trek V", "Ghostbusters II", "Police Academy
6", "Fletch 2", etc., so it looks like the sequels are profitable
enough; there's a good chance Lucas'll dive into another Star Wars.

  John Schultz
  Enjoying Spring Brake

cme@cloud9.Stratus.COM (Carl Ellison) (03/27/89)

In article <1530@wpi.wpi.edu>, dseah@wpi.wpi.edu (David I Seah) writes:
>           When I watch the
> beginning of Star Trek The Next Generation (with the whizzing planets), I
> thought that the whole thing was computer generated.  Is this true?  Are the
> vessels used in the series also computer generated?

At first, I thought the ship must be computer generated.  I know that such
renderings are possible -- even routine -- and, besides, I can see aliasing
and occasional drop-outs at the edges (especially where the ship's edge
intersects the planet edge).  However, I was fooled, too.

I heard/read/saw an interview with the special effects person for ST:TNG
and learned that it's not 3D rendering.  It's computer manipulated frames
at best.  That is, they use standard TV frame manipulators.

The planets look like Jim Blinn's work, so those are probably computer
generated.

--Carl Ellison                      UUCP::  cme@cloud9.Stratus.COM
SNail:: Stratus Computer; 55 Fairbanks Blvd.; Marlborough MA 01752
Disclaimer::  (of course)

woolstar@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu (John D Woolverton) (03/27/89)

> | <<<<<(((((( DAVE SEAH ))))))>>>>> |	Internet:  dseah@wpi.wpi.edu
> Someone once told me that George Lucas would never do another Star Wars until
> he could have computer animate realistic-looking starships.
> thought that the whole thing [Star trek] was computer generated.

The key here is realistic-looking.  The last starfighter came alot
closer to looking realistic, than the TV show does, because they
spent alot more money and time on it.  I imagine that Lucas is also
waiting for better modeling tools, and more realistic imagining
speeds.  Just think about how long, and how expensive the space
battle in Revenge of the Jedi would be, if it were done on a computer.

	John d Woolverton, Student in Computer Graphics
	 woolstar@csvax.caltech.edu, California Inst. of Technology

pfarrell@anselm.UUCP (Gladiator) (03/27/89)

> he could have computer animate realistic-looking starships.  When I watch the
> beginning of Star Trek The Next Generation (with the whizzing planets), I
> thought that the whole thing was computer generated.  Is this true?  Are the

This was also emailed, but the Show to see is called
Star Trek, From One Generation to the Next. Narrated by Captain Picard
(Whose name Ijust forgot. Ugh) It shows Different special effects, explains how they did the effect when one was beemed up to the enterprise (old trek's
and movies(the effect is different in next generation)). They showed the
pilot for the original startrek, "The Cage" , mentioned
about Star Trek 5 "The Final Frontier" which should be out this summer.
(Along with the New Indiana Jones movie (yeah!).
Anyway, it talks about the ships, and shows the models used. Talks
bout the crew and actors.

See if you can find someone with a copy. Perhaps someone in the
Startrek newsgroup can locate one. This will help a lot Iam sure
(and provide some enjoyment since it's a good show)
So it's mostly done with models. HOWEVER, I do remember that
some movies have been done with computers. Wasn't
"The Last Starfighter" computer animated in the space scenes? Ships
and all?
--
Patrick Farrell @ St. Anselm's college, Goffstown N.H. 1-603-472-2378
dartvax!anselm!pfarrell

"Laugh and the world ignores you. Crying doesn't help either."

macs%worke@Sun.COM (Manuel Cisneros) (03/28/89)

In article <89@sdcc10.ucsd.EDU> cs161agc@sdcc10.ucsd.edu.UUCP (John Schultz) writes:
>In article <1530@wpi.wpi.edu> dseah@wpi.wpi.edu (David I Seah) writes:
>>he could have computer animate realistic-looking starships.  When I watch the
>>beginning of Star Trek The Next Generation (with the whizzing planets), I
>>thought that the whole thing was computer generated.  Is this true?  Are the
>>vessels used in the series also computer generated?
>
>  Everything is computer generated.  If you've seen Pixar's "The Tin
>Toy", then you've seen the state of the art in computer animation.

I may be wrong (although I doubt it) but the opening sequence of STTNG
is not completely computer generated, at least not the Enterprise, as
I have stood next to the model (its big, and light blue, by the way)
that is used for the show.

Manuel.

greg@bilbo (Greg Wageman) (03/28/89)

In article <1530@wpi.wpi.edu> dseah@wpi.wpi.edu (David I Seah) writes:
>Someone once told me that George Lucas would never do another Star Wars until
>he could have computer animate realistic-looking starships.  When I watch the
>beginning of Star Trek The Next Generation (with the whizzing planets), I
>thought that the whole thing was computer generated.  Is this true?  Are the
>vessels used in the series also computer generated?

The solar system graphics are indeed computer-generated; look for the
lighting error on Saturn.

According to an article in "Cinefex", they originally intended to
computer-model the Enterprise, too, but quickly realized that they
didn't have time to generate a detailed-enough computer model that
would look realistic, but render fast enough to meet production
deadlines.  Consequently, they use a model for the Enterprise.

All of the "optical" compositing for the show is done digitally, by
the way, so that they get essentially first-generation quality no
matter how complex a composite is required (and without matte lines).

Longish .signature follows.  Skip now, or don't complain!

Greg Wageman			DOMAIN: greg@sj.ate.slb.com
Schlumberger Technologies	UUCP:   ...!uunet!sjsca4!greg
1601 Technology Drive		BIX:    gwage
San Jose, CA 95110-1397		CIS:    74016,352
(408) 437-5198			GEnie:  G.WAGEMAN
------------------
There is only one "r" in "pejorative"
------------------
Opinions expressed herein are solely the responsibility of the author.
(And the author wouldn't have it any other way.)

In article <89@sdcc10.ucsd.EDU>, cs161agc@sdcc10.ucsd.EDU (John Schultz)
writes:
 > In article <1530@wpi.wpi.edu> dseah@wpi.wpi.edu (David I Seah) writes:
 > >  When I watch the
 > >beginning of Star Trek The Next Generation (with the whizzing planets), I
 > >thought that the whole thing was computer generated.  Is this true?  Are
 > > the vessels used in the series also computer generated?
 >
 >   Everything is computer generated.

[BBZZZZZT] Wrong! The ships, space stations, are MODELS in Star Trek TNG.

The planets at the beginning look to be computer generated, but the Enterprise,
the various space stations and Alien vessels are models.
--
John Sparks   |  {rutgers|uunet}!ukma!corpane!sparks  | D.I.S.K. 24hrs 1200bps
______________|          sparks@corpane.UUCP          | 502/968-5401 thru -5406

Although the moon is smaller than the earth, it is farther away.

poynton@vector.Sun.COM (Charles A. Poynton) (03/29/89)

Apparently Star Trek's transporter was developed when the production
people realized that filming a different planetary landing or spaceship
docking sequence every show would blow the budget.  It was orders of
magnitude less expensive to do the cheap optical effect.

-----
Charles A. Poynton			Sun Microsystems Inc.
<poynton@sun.com>			2550 Garcia Avenue, MS 8-04
415-336-7846				Mountain View, CA 94043
-----

sewilco@datapg.MN.ORG (Scot E Wilcoxon) (03/29/89)

In article <10158@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu> woolstar@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu  writes:
>speeds.  Just think about how long, and how expensive the space
>battle in Revenge of the Jedi would be, if it were done on a computer.

Expense is relative.  If the later "Lensman" stories are ever put on
'film', computer-generating the ships would be easier than trying to get
all the missiles, beams, screens, and other disturbances in the ether
to line up correctly with the ships.

[ Yes, we know there is no ether. There is no ether today, hey, hey, hey.
Now where can I get a polonium electrode? ]
--
Scot E. Wilcoxon  sewilco@DataPg.MN.ORG    {amdahl|hpda}!bungia!datapg!sewilco
Data Progress 	 UNIX masts & rigging  +1 612-825-2607    uunet!datapg!sewilco

consult@osiris.UUCP (Unix Consultation Mailbox ) (03/30/89)

In article <10158@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu> woolstar@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu (John D Woolverton) writes:
> I imagine that Lucas is also
>waiting for better modeling tools, and more realistic imagining
>speeds.

What's a realistic imagining speed?  10 thoughts per minute?  If he's
imagining too fast, he could probably just use some CNS depressants.  Or
he could run for public office, that usually seems to reduce a person's
brainpower by several orders of magnitude.

Phil Kos

dseah@wpi.wpi.edu (David I Seah) (03/30/89)

In article <3814@datapg.MN.ORG> sewilco@datapg.MN.ORG (Scot E Wilcoxon) writes:
>Expense is relative.  If the later "Lensman" stories are ever put on
>'film', computer-generating the ships would be easier than trying to get
>all the missiles, beams, screens, and other disturbances in the ether
>to line up correctly with the ships.

That reminds me of a japanese animated movie (as opposed to "cartoon", which
has certain derogatory connoctations) called "Lensman" that was loosely based
on the novels by EE "Doc" Smith.  There was some computer animation in it that
was done, I think, by Rochester Institute of Technology or University of
Rochester.  There was another animated flick called "Golgo 13" that also had
an interesting computer generated helicopter attack-on-a-skyscraper done by
another university here.

rpaul@dasys1.UUCP (Rod Paul) (03/31/89)

In article <1530@wpi.wpi.edu> dseah@wpi.wpi.edu (David I Seah) writes:
>Someone once told me that George Lucas would never do another Star Wars until
>he could have computer animate realistic-looking starships.  When I watch the
>beginning of Star Trek The Next Generation (with the whizzing planets), I
>thought that the whole thing was computer generated.  Is this true?  Are the
>vessels used in the series also computer generated?

When I worked for the Omnibus/Robert Abel/Digital Productions monster, just
before the whole mess collapsed, a friend of mine, Michael Limber, worked on
a pretty good test animation of the new starship Enterprise. The thing looked
real good and crunched pretty fast on the 'ol cray. Unfortunatly the producers
of the show weren't that keen (this may be due to the fact the Robert Abel had
screwed up on the first Star Trek Movie, in fact his name isn't much liked
around the studios). Anyway the outcome was that the show would use models.
Too bad..

--
Rodian Paul				|
Big Electric Cat Public UNIX		|	Just say YES to UII !

In article <9161@dasys1.UUCP> rpaul@dasys1.UUCP (Rod Paul) writes:
>...Robert Abel had screwed up on the first Star Trek Movie, [ ... ]

	Could someone elaborate on this, please?

Leo L. Schwab -- The Guy in The Cape	INET: well!ewhac@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU
 \_ -_		Recumbent Bikes:	UUCP: pacbell > !{well,unicom}!ewhac

davidc@ziebmef.uucp (David Carlton) (04/03/89)

In article <3814@datapg.MN.ORG>, sewilco@datapg.MN.ORG (Scot E Wilcoxon) writes:
> Expense is relative.  If the later "Lensman" stories are ever put on
> 'film', computer-generating the ships would be easier than trying to get
> all the missiles, beams, screens, and other disturbances in the ether
> to line up correctly with the ships.

Ah... But in Japan, the Lensman series has already been animated...
It ran a 25-27 episode season and there was a full-length feature movie!
The opening was totally done with computers, and the rest was hand-drawn
animation... Very nice work... But fairly old. I believe (don't quote me),
that it was released in '81-82.

--
David Carlton
..!{uunet!atcan!telly!magsta,utgpu,ontmoh,ziebmef}!davidc