[comp.graphics] References for Intro. to & Algorithms for Ray Tracing.

munish@ms.uky.edu (Munish Mehra) (04/02/89)

I would like some references for Introduction to ray Tracing and
possible algorithms/code for the same. In particular, it is for
Terrain Data over a regular grid.

flatline@weedeater.uucp (Ken Musgrave) (04/04/89)

In article <11391@s.ms.uky.edu> munish@ms.uky.edu (Munish Mehra) writes:
>I would like some references for Introduction to ray Tracing and
>possible algorithms/code for the same. In particular, it is for
>Terrain Data over a regular grid.

  You can write to the Yale computer science department and request a copy
of Research Report RR-639 "Grid Tracing: Fast Ray Tracing for Height Fields"
for info an algorithm specifically developed for ray tracing terrain models.
Also see Mastin et al. "Fourier Synthesis of Ocean Scenes" in IEEE CG&A
March, 1987 for an alternative approach.

Ken Musgrave			arpanet: musgrave-forest@yale.edu
Yale U. Math Dept.
Box 2155 Yale Station		Primary Operating Principle: