[comp.graphics] Need spec of GIF and TIFF files

coltoff@PRC.Unisys.COM (Joel Coltoff) (04/01/89)

I'm working on an application that requires some graphics and
need to decide what format to use. The application involves some
custom hardware and is geared towards NTSC video. Does anyone
have a spec for GIF and TIFF pictures? I've seen them posted
to the net before but of course that was when I didn't need it.

Are there any other formats I should consider? The graphics isn't
all that complicated. It involves simple pictures (line draws,
filled and stippled polygons, circles etc.) and won't be shaded
or moved. For text we're using half a dozen fonts.(if that many)
In a few different sizes.

Any help anyone has to offer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
in advance.
--
	- Joel
		{psuvax1,sdcrdcf}!burdvax!coltoff	(UUCP)

daemon@watale.waterloo.edu (joejobber process) (04/03/89)

In article <9721@burdvax.PRC.Unisys.COM> coltoff@PRC.Unisys.COM (Joel Coltoff) writes:
>Does anyone have a spec for GIF and TIFF pictures? I've seen them posted
>to the net before but of course that was when I didn't need it.

If you are on the Internet, you can obtain the spec's for TIFF, GIF, and
IFF via anonymous ftp from surya.waterloo.edu [129.97.129.72].
The files of interest are /doc/{tiff.Z,gif.shar.Z,iff.shar.Z}.

Mike Adams
mdadams@surya.waterloo.edu

Chris_F_Chiesa@cup.portal.com (04/10/89)

Alas, I must sadly raise my hand and meekly utter "me too..."  I am on the
verge, at work, of being assigned to convert from TIFF format bitmapped images
to our own in-house format (we've just begun playing with a Mac II with some
kind of hard- and software that lets us scan images, and they want me to make
it possible to transfer the images to our primary system).

Also alas, I have no access to the Internet, anonymous FTP, or any of the
other conveniences of life enjoyed by so many of you.  Therefore, could I
prevail upon someone to contact me via E-mail and arrange to send me the
TIFF spec?  (DON'T just send it -- cuz then I'll end up with five copies of
it; DO write me if you have it, so I can designate ONE person to send it to
me.  Thank you.)

Thanks in advance.

   Chris Chiesa
    Software Programmer
      Light Valve Technology - an Eastman Technologies company