[comp.graphics] PS300 Function Networks was

cme@cloud9.Stratus.COM (Carl Ellison) (04/10/89)

Thanks for noting the function networks with kindness if not praise.
There were (and probably still are) those at E&S who were convinced
I was off my rocker with that.

--Carl Ellison                      UUCP::  cme@cloud9.Stratus.COM
SNail:: Stratus Computer; 55 Fairbanks Blvd.; Marlborough MA 01752
Disclaimer::  (of course)

garry@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Garry Wiegand as guest) (04/10/89)

In a recent article cme@cloud9.Stratus.COM (Carl Ellison) wrote:
>Thanks for noting the function networks with kindness if not praise.
>There were (and probably still are) those at E&S who were convinced
>I was off my rocker with that.

I meant to imply considerable praise! For being brave/sure enough
to push through a software idea that was *novel*! And doing it in the
midst of a well-established company, to boot.

We're not planning on implementating E&S function networks ourselves,
but in our discussions it's one of the basic ideas everyone needs to
understand. A part of the state of the art of computer graphics.

(For those who don't know: a function network is a directed graph
of arithmetic functions. Data flows in one end, for example from a
mouse, follows the connections, is transformed in arbitrary ways,
and flows out the other end, for example to affect a screen display.
The data flow happens *continuously*.  (Carl, did I say it right?))

garry wiegand   (garry@larch.cadif.cornell.edu - @batcomputer won't work)