[comp.graphics] Gardner's cloud generation alg.

greg%pipe@gatech.edu (Greg Williams) (04/07/89)

Does anyone have public domain code (in C or FORTRAN) which computes
Gardner texture functions as described by Geoffrey Gardner (previously
of Grumman Aerospace, now with NYIT) in Siggraph conference proceedings
for 1984, 85, and from Siggraph course notes in 1988?

This is probably the most widely used method for creating realistic cloud
images that I have seen. I would be interested in seeing implementations
that others have come up with.

Gardner claims in his last article to use "integer arithmetic and table
lookup for cosines" to minimize computation. I would be interested to know
if anyone has been able to optimize Gardner's poor-man's Fourier series
so that it is computed in integer arithmetic.

And to anyone out there, who may or may not have seen Gardner's articles:

Does anyone have info or know of sources which explain how to take a fairly
complex floating point equation (such as a product of three cosine series)
and convert such an equation to run in C or FORTRAN using only integers?

greg@pipe.gatech.edu
GREG WILLIAMS "Barbaric Penguin"
Disclaimer: The usual stuff.

paul@polyof.UUCP (A1 Mr. Curran) (04/11/89)

In article <7880@pyr.gatech.EDU>, greg%pipe@gatech.edu (Greg Williams) writes:
> Gardner texture functions as described by Geoffrey Gardner (previously
> of Grumman Aerospace, now with NYIT) in Siggraph conference proceedings
Just a little update... Geoffrey Gardner is back with Grumman.  He works in
the Graphics Lab for Grumman's Data Systems Division.
	_ Paul