[comp.graphics] tiff info still sought.

doug@psuecl.bitnet (Douglas H. Hughes) (04/13/89)

I've posted once, but got no replies ... I was wondering if anybody
had read it? Anyway, my problem is this.. I need to convert TIFF files
just so they can be displayed on BSD 4.3 unix machine.. THere has to
be something out there.. I just want to view the pictures that's all..
I've already gotten offers for a TIFF2RAS program that converts them
to Raster files for the sun (which is essentially the same operating
system that I am using) and one that converts them to postscript files
also.. But, here I run into the same problem.. WHere do I get the file
to display either a Raster or postscript file on a BSD 4.3 machine
running xwindows.. THink of it essentially as a sun if it helps at all.
any help would be GREATLY appreciated..
        Doug@psuecl.bitnet
inter   doug%psuecl.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu
uucp    psuvax1!psuecl!doug@psuvax1.uucp  (or equivalent)

phils@athena.mit.edu (Philip R. Thompson) (04/14/89)

In article <28971@psuecl.bitnet> doug@psuecl.bitnet (Douglas H. Hughes) writes:
>to display either a Raster or postscript file on a BSD 4.3 machine
>running xwindows.. THink of it essentially as a sun if it helps at all.
>any help would be GREATLY appreciated..

For viewing raster images using the X Window System.

I have a good program for displaying images on X, the only problem is
that it displays images in my own format.  This is the "xim" format
after the display program of the same name.   If you have an afternoon
to spare you can modify the program or, even easier, write a translator
to your format.  There are a couple translators to other formats to
look at already.  If interested, it is all tarred together and
available, along with sample images, on 18.80.0.45 via anonymous ftp.

Philip Thompson

mcw@ukc.ac.uk (Mark Wheadon) (04/14/89)

In article <28971@psuecl.bitnet> doug@psuecl.bitnet (Douglas H. Hughes) writes:

>I've posted once, but got no replies ... I was wondering if anybody
>had read it? Anyway, my problem is this.. I need to convert TIFF files
>just so they can be displayed on BSD 4.3 unix machine.. THere has to
>be something out there.. I just want to view the pictures that's all..
>I've already gotten offers for a TIFF2RAS program that converts them
>to Raster files for the sun (which is essentially the same operating

At the risk of blatant advertising we have an intelligent file viewer,
vf, for UNIX/X11.  It displays sun bitmaps and many other types of files.

It will cost you $$, but not very many $$ if you're an academic
institution.  vf also displays text, tar files, ar files, X11 bitmaps, etc.

Email me for more details (it, and other goodies, are currently available for
Sun3s [SunView or X11] and VAXes [ULTRIX + X11]).
--
   __