[comp.graphics] Format madness!

arnold@ux.cs.man.ac.uk (Toby Howard) (04/07/89)

There's been a lot of traffic here about various graphics
formats, and it's been hard to keep track of them all.
Does anyone have a list of each of the formats---TIFF,
PIC, GIF, NFF etc., perhaps with a brief note of the
intention and function of each?

I'll summarise. Thanks

Toby

hucaby@ms.uky.edu (David Hucaby) (04/11/89)

In article <5813@ux.cs.man.ac.uk> arnold@ux.cs.man.ac.uk (Toby Howard) writes:
>There's been a lot of traffic here about various graphics
>formats, and it's been hard to keep track of them all.

I must agree -- perhaps too much redundant traffic. Rather than periodically
summarizing and rehashing what's come across so far, how about someone
building up an archive of the graphic image format specs and conversion
utilities?? This way, when someone wants to know what's available, they're
only an ftp away from the answer!

Dave Hucaby     		      VOICE: (606)-257-3040
University of Kentucky		      DOMAIN: hucaby@image.uky.edu
Wenner Gren Research Labs	      BITNET:
Lexington, Kentucky  40506-0070	      UUCP:
-------------------------------       ----------------------------------------
|	"There is no finer thing a machine can do than to                    |
|	 give his last transistor for his friends or township."              |
|				Don Knotts in "How to Frame a Figg"          |
-------------------------------       ----------------------------------------

johnm@trsvax.UUCP (04/13/89)

>utilities?? This way, when someone wants to know what's available, they're
>only an ftp away from the answer!
>
>Dave Hucaby     		      VOICE: (606)-257-3040

You're right!  Why didn't I think of that.  After all EVERYBODY has ftp access.

Wake up pal.  Most of this stuff is available somewhere for ftp but there are
plenty of people out there (myself included) who do not now, nor are ever
likely to have ftp access to anything.  A more comprehensive solution is needed
for access to this stuff and I have no idea what it could be.

John Munsch

schear@ttidca.TTI.COM (Steve Schear) (04/14/89)

In article <11467@s.ms.uky.edu> hucaby@image.uky.edu (Dave Hucaby) writes:
>In article <5813@ux.cs.man.ac.uk> arnold@ux.cs.man.ac.uk (Toby Howard) writes:
>>There's been a lot of traffic here about various graphics
>>formats, and it's been hard to keep track of them all.
>
>I must agree -- perhaps too much redundant traffic. Rather than periodically
>summarizing and rehashing what's come across so far, how about someone
>building up an archive of the graphic image format specs and conversion
>utilities?? This way, when someone wants to know what's available, they're
>only an ftp away from the answer!

I agree with your suggestion, in general.  However, many on these interconnected
networks cannot use ftp. I suugest, therefore, that the kind souls who which to
perform this beneficient act instead or in addition offer a "server" function,
much like adobe does in supporting its postscript community.

The server responds to requests, via mail, for files and directory listings. It
replys, through mail, to the requestor. Unless this has security or financial
implications, I would much prefer this method.