[comp.graphics] Looking for Animation Package

blaho@hpfcdq.HP.COM (Bruce Blaho) (04/14/89)

I am looking for an animation editor  available in the public domain (or
at least  reasonably  cheap.)  What I would  like to be able to do is to
specify  the  motion  for  several  objects,  perhaps  in  terms  of key
positions,  starting  and  stopping  accelerations,  etc.,  and have the
package interpolate  intermediate  positions and produce some reasonable
output, like an ASCII file, which scripts the objects'  motion.  I would
like to do my own  rendering,  so it is  essential  that the  output  is
comprehensible enough to link to other packages.

Any suggestions?  I have heard a little bit about a package called TWIXT
(by Julian  Gomez, I  believe.)  Does  anyone  have any  information  or
experience with this package?

Thanks.

Bruce Blaho
  ..hplabs!hpfcla!blaho

dalm@warwick.UUCP (D A L Michael) (04/23/89)

In article <390029@hpfcdq.HP.COM> blaho@hpfcdq.HP.COM (Bruce Blaho) writes:
>I am looking for an animation editor  available in the public domain (or
>at least  reasonably  cheap.)  What I would  like to be able to do is to
>specify  the  motion  for  several  objects,  perhaps  in  terms  of key
>positions,  starting  and  stopping  accelerations,  etc.,  and have the
>package interpolate  intermediate  positions and produce some reasonable
>output, like an ASCII file, which scripts the objects'  motion.  I would
>like to do my own  rendering,  so it is  essential  that the  output  is
>comprehensible enough to link to other packages.

I friend of mine has writen such a program. It runs on Sun 3 or 4 under
Sunview. You can draw free-hand pictures and then using spline techniques the
program interpolates the inbetween frames. You can then animate the generated
images to form a mini-movie.

If you are interested the e-mail address is:

        olly@warwick.cs

David
ARPA:	dalm%warwick.uucp%emerald.warwick.ac.uk@ucl-cs.arpa
UUCP:   ... seismo!mcvax!ukc!warwick!daisy!emerald!dalm
JANET:  dalm%warwick.uucp@uk.ac.warwick.emerald       PHONE: (+44) 203 692320
TELEX:  837831 EMCO G, 837831 VIA OR G                  FAX: (+44) 865 726753