[comp.graphics] EGA Palette

bright@Data-IO.COM (Walter Bright) (04/26/89)

Does anybody know, or have a reference to, what the RGB values are
for the 64 color EGA palette? I.e., basically what is the table:

enum color { RED, GREEN, BLUE, MAX };

int egapalette[64][MAX] = { ??????? };

Thanks in advance...

mason@tc.fluke.COM (Nick Mason) (04/29/89)

In article <1956@dataio.Data-IO.COM> bright@dataio.Data-IO.COM (Walter Bright) writes:
>Does anybody know, or have a reference to, what the RGB values are
>for the 64 color EGA palette? I.e., basically what is the table:
>
>enum color { RED, GREEN, BLUE, MAX };
>
>int egapalette[64][MAX] = { ??????? };
>
>Thanks in advance...

	MSB  LSB
	 rgbRGB   where r=32, g=16, b=8, R=4, G=2 and B=1
		  and rgb are secondary pins and RGB are primary pins

My model of the EGA is as follows.  You can display 16 colors out of
the possible 64 colors at any time.  The 64 colors use the rgbRGB scheme
you have described above.  However, the EGA card has 4 memory planes,
corresponding to 4 bits per pixel.  .ie. each pixel on the display has
a value between 0 and F hex.  This is mapped into the Look UP Table (LUT)
that has 64 possible modes.  This LUT feeds the circuits that drive the
monitor and display colors on the screen.

For example, :

pixel value   Default LUT   a blue/gray scale LUT
	0	0		0
	1	1		8
	2	2		1
	3	3		18
	4	4		11
	5	5		3
	6	6		29
	7	7		F
	8	38		1D
	9	39		2B
	A	3A		39
	B	3B		19
	C	3C		9
	D	3D		1B
	E	3E		6
	F	3F		7

The pixel value is the value in the bit planes, the LUT are the 16 mapped
values out of the 64 possible.

To work through a few values,
pixel=0, default LUT=0H=rgbRGB=000000=black.
pixel=1, default LUT=1H=rgbRGB=000001=blue.
pixel=2, default LUT=2H=rgbRGB=000020=green.
etc.

Also:

Decimal	RGB	Apparent color

   0	000	Black
   1	002	dark blue
   2	020	Dark Green
   3	022	cyan
   4	200	dark red (deep red)
   5	202	magenta
   6	220	yellow
   7	222	Gray (dim white)
   8	001	real dark red (real dark blue)
   9	003	real blue (bright blue)
  10	021	(blue-green, mostly green)
  11	023	(pale blue)
  12	201	(pinkish red)
  13	203	(bluish magenta, sorta purple)
  14	221	(yellow, slightly greenish)
  15	223	(bluish white)
  16	010	real dark green
  17	012	(slightly lighter than dark blue)
  18	030	real green (bright pale green)
  19	032	(bright pale blue-green)
  20	210	(orange, rust)
  21	212	(purple)
  22	230	(bright yellow-green)
  23	232	(greenish white)
  24	011	dark cyan
  25	013	(bright blue)
  26	031	(bright bluish green)
  27	033	Blue (bright cyan, light sky blue)
  28	211	(muddy pink)
  29	213	(light purple)
  30	231	(bright yellow-green)
  31	233	(bright bluish-white)
  32	100	real dark red
  33	102	(blue w/slight purplish tinge)
  34	120	(green)
  35	122	(bluish white)
  36	300	real red (bright red)
  37	302	(shocking pink)
  38	320	(orangish-yellow)
  39	322	Pink (pinkish white)
  40	101	real dark magenta
  41	103	(bright blue)
  42	121	(bluish green)
  43	123	(dark sky blue)
  44	301	(orangish shocking pink)
  45	303	magenta (bright magenta)
  46	321	Orange (pale yellow-orange)
  47	323	Lavender
  48	110	(olive green)
  49	112	(slightly purpled blue)
  50	130	(bright yellow green)
  51	132	Light Green (bright)
  52	310	Red (orange)
  53	312	Magenta (bright)
  54	330	Yellow (bright)
  55	332	Amber (yellowish white)
  56	111	dark grey
  57	113	dark blue (light blue)
  58	131	Green (pale green)
  59	133	(bluish white)
  60	311	dark red (orangish red)
  61	313	(bright magenta)
  62	331	(muddy yellow)
  63	333	White (bright)

Nick Mason/ms272G/John Fluke Mfg Co/Box C9090/Everett WA 98206 USA
   mason@tc.fluke.COM
UUCP:
 {{cornell,decvax,sdcsvax,tektronix,utcsrgv}!uw-beaver} \
{microsoft,gatech!sb1,hplabs!lbl-csam,decwrl!sun,sunup} - !fluke!mason
		 {ssc-vax,hplsla,wavetek,uw-vlsi,tikal} /
ARPA: fluke!mason@uw-beaver.ARPA
BITNET: "fluke!mason@uw-beaver.ARPA"@PSUVAX1.bitnet
"Avoid the Dull and Ignorant"