[comp.graphics] Graphics formats - a list

ftrue@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Dr. Destruction) (04/26/89)

The following is a document prepared by Keith Graham, the author of
a popular P/D software package called "Optiks". Optiks is more or less a
"graphics spreadsheet" concept, in that it can read in many formats, and
export quite a few. The document contains a listing of many graphics formats,
primarily those that are most commonly found on PC's. This may be a good
starting point for a compilation of a "format list" if someone has chosen
to undertake such a task.

The original name of this document is GR_EXT.DOC and is found in the
public domain OPTIKS v2.14 software package, available from (among
many places) the PC Rockland BBS in Nyack, NY. Their number is
(914) 353-2157 - this is an excellent P/D BBS for those interested.

Frederick True    =     ftrue@jarthur.UUCP  ftrue@hmcvax.BITNET

   The following is a partial list of the many graphics formats
   that are available. I started the list, H. F. Van Brink added
   to it and I added a few more. Keith P. Graham

   File types are: R=Raster, V=Vector, L=Language, B=LiBrary

    File       Optiks  File  Description/
  Extension    Support Type  Software Source
  =========    ======= ====  ==================
    .ART       Yes     R     PFS First Publisher Clip Art
    .ART       No      ?     Ashton-Tate Byline Clipart
    .BAS       Yes     R     Basic Bload/Bsave (also basic programs)
    .BSG       Yes     R     FONTASY (same as .RAW)
    .CA        Read    RB    NewsRoom Pro
    .CGM       No      V     Computer Graphics Metafile
    .CUT       Yes     R     Dr. Halo, Cut files
    .DAT       Read    RB    PrintShop
    .DCX       Read    RB    Panasonic Fax PCX libraries.
    .DD        No      R     CBM Doodle
    .DHP       No      ?     Dr. Halo
    .DRW       No      V     Freelance
    .DRW       No      V     MicroGrafx
    .DRW       No      V     NBI Legend
    .DXF       No      V     AutoCad
    .EPS       Some    VRL   Encapsulated Post Script
    .EV        No      ?     NCN Execuvision
    .FG        No      ?     Slidewrite Plus
    .GAL       No      ?     HP Gallery on Exhibit, Graphics Gallery
    .GEM       No      V     GEM Draw
    .GMF       No      V     Computer Graphics Metafile - Various Venders
    .GIF       Some    R     Compuserve Graphics Interchange format
    .GX1       No      R     PC PaintBrush
    .HPC(L)    Some    RV    Hewlett Packard's LaserJet Graphics
    .HPG(L)    No      V     Hewlett Packard Graphics Language
    .IFF       Yes     R     Amiga Interchange Format File (graphics)
    .IMG       Yes     R     DataCopy Wips
    .IMG       Yes     R     GEM Paint
    .IMG       Yes     R     IBM Image support Facility
    .IMG       No      ?     Boeing Graph
    .MAC       Yes     R     Apple Macintosh Macpaint
    .MAK       Yes     R     Apple Macintosh Macpaint, No Header
    .MSP       Yes     R     Microsoft Windows Paint
    .P         No      ?     Ashton Tate Draw Applause
    .PCR       Yes     R     OPTIKS/PCRGB
    .PCX .PCC  Yes     R     Zsoft PC Paintbrush
    .PDA       Yes     R     Palantir Scanner Graphics Files
    .PGA       No      R     IBM Professional Graphics Adaptor image file
    .PI1 .PI2  Yes     R     Atari Degas uncompressed images
    .PIC       Some    V     Lotus
    .PIC       v1.5    R     Mouse systems PC Paint
    .PIG       Yes     R     Ricoh Pixel Image Generator file
    .PRN       Some    VLR   Post Script, Any print image file
    .RAS       Yes     R     Show file Ras format
    .RAW       Yes     R     Basic Array format (OPTIKS reference only)
    .RLE       Yes     R     Compuserve, Teletext Run Length Encoded
    .SLD       Some    V     AutoCad Slide
    .SFL       Yes     R     Soft Font Single Letter
    .SFP       Yes     R     HP Soft Font
    .SHP       Read    RB    Printmaster, Newsmaster
    .TIF       Yes     R     Aldus/Microsoft Tag Image Format Files (TIFF)
    .WPG       No      RV    Word Perfect Graphics 5.0

    OPTIKS can either read or write the files Listed as YES, Optiks
    makes a good attempt at reading the files marked as SOME. Some
    files marked YES can only be written or read. Library type files
    and Vector graphics files are not supported by OPTIKS and will
    probably never be supported. The exceptions are Lotus PIC, AutoCad
    SLD and a very few EPS files. Combination of Raster and Vector
    May be supported but for write only and then only Raster.

           FILE MENU TREE

     The following is a summary of the OPTIKS menu tree as it pertains
     to files. This will help you to determine what files OPTIKS can
     read and write.

     ROOT menu:

     FILE    ENVIRN  PRINT   IMAGE   DRAW  TYPE   SCAN   QUIT

     FILE:   Load, save, merge, and list files
     ENVIRN: OPTIKS Environment and optional features
     PRINT:  Print a Picture to a Disk file or a Printer
     IMAGE:  Alter Picture shape, size and other attributes
     DRAW:   Draw lines and boxes.
     TYPE:   Type to screen using OPTIKS fonts.
     SCAN:   Read/write image data from scanners.
     QUIT:   Leave Optiks.

     The FILE menu items are:

     READ   SAVE    MERGE   LIST  INFO   CHECK

     READ:    Load a file from disk into the workspace
     MERGE:   Combine a file from disk with the current picture
     SAVE:    Write picture information to disk
     LIST:    List the files on the current directory
     INFO:    Lists Width and height and maybe other information
     CHECK:   Check For Recognizeable file header

     OPTIKS can RETREIVE or MERGE the following types of files:

     PCR:    PC Rockland ultra-squished data format
     TEXT:   ASCII text files with OPTIKS escape sequences
     LANG:   these are interpreted vector files which are:
             LOTUS:  Lotus PIC files (Without text, color or fill)
             POST:   Post Script files (Scanner Graphics)
             SLD:    Autocad Slide files. (Fill not supported)
     BLOAD:  Bload/Bsave files from basic supporting the following
             CGA:     CGA B800 16K interlaced screens
             EGA:     EGA A000 32K 640*350 single plane screens
             AT&T:    AT&T B800 640*400 interlace 4 screens
             HERC:    Hercules B000 720*348 interlace 4 screens
             640x400: VGA and similar modes 32k at A000
             480:     Enahanced EGA 640*480 modes - A000
             720:     720 wide modes at A up to 48k
     FONTS:  Load PCR Fonts
     APPLE:  Apple MacIntosh MacPaint format (READMACS)
             Reads MacPaint with or without Macbinary Headers.
     PCB:    PC Paintbrush (PCC or PCX files from Zsoft)
     IMG:    EFS Image files raw data format.(These are not GEM)
     WIPS:   Datacopy Corp. uncompressed WIPS Files
     RLE:    RLE Run Length Encoded Files from Compuserve
     CUT:    Dr. Halo II & III CUT files
     FONTASY: FONTASY load block or BASIC PUT/GET files
     SFP:    Type to screen with HP Soft font
     LJET:   Printer output files for HP LaserJet
     MSP:    Microsoft Paint
     PIG:    Ricoh IS30 Pixel Image Generation files
     RAS:    Show file RAS format
     TIFF:   Aldus - Microsoft TIFF files. Reads Uncompressed,
             Packbits compress, and CCITT group III 1-d. 2 color
             only, does not handle gray scale - yet.
     GEM:    GEM Paint files (.IMG files, not GEM draw).
     ISF:    IBM Image Support Facility 2 v1.00
     DEGAS:  DEGAS Atari ST files
     ART:    PFS First Publisher .ART files
     FAX:    CCITT type 'C' files. Coming soon.
     1.0PIC: PC PAINT version 1.0
     PDA:    PALANTIR PDA Uncompressed
     IFF:    ATARI IFF Graphics files
     GIF:    Compuserve Graphics Interchange Format 2,4 and 16 color.
     TRY:    Best Guess: MicroSoft Paint, GEM, Zsoft PCX, GIF, TIF or MacPaint
     DCX:    Panasonic FAX PCX libraries.
     SHOP:   PrintShop libraries.
     NEWS:   Newsmaster Libraries
     CA:     Newsroom Pro

     OPTIKS can SAVE in the following formats:

     PCR     APPLE   BRUSH   MSP     EPSF    LOAD    IMG

     PCR:    PC Rockland ultra-squished data format
     APPLE:  Apple MacIntosh MacPaint format (READMACS)
             Saves with or without Macbinary Header.
     PCB:    PC Paintbrush (PCC or PCX files from Zsoft)
     EPSF    Post Script files (Scanner Graphics)
     MSP:    Microsoft Paint
     BLOAD:  Bload/Bsave files from basic supporting the following
             CGA:     CGA B800 16K interlaced screens
             EGA:     EGA A000 32K 640*350 single plane screens
             AT&T:    AT&T B800 640*400 interlace 4 screens
             HERC:    Hercules B000 720*348 interlace 4 screens
             640x400: VGA and similar modes 32k at A000
             480:     Enahanced EGA 640*480 modes - A000
             720:     720 wide modes at A up to 48k
     IMG:    EFS Image files (raw data format)
     WIPS:   Datacopy Corp. uncompressed WIPS Files
     CUT:    Dr. Halo II CUT files
     TIFF:   Aldus - Microsoft TIFF files, Saves uncompressed or
             Packbits.
     GEM:    GEM Paint file
     RAS:    Show file RAS format
     FONTASY: FONTASY load block or BASIC PUT/GET files
     PIG:    Ricoh IS30 Pixel Image Generation files
     GEM:    GEM Paint file
     TIFF:   Aldus - Microsoft TIFF files
     ISF:    IBM Image Support Facility 2 v1.00
     ART:    PFS First Publisher .ART files
     HP-SOFT: Write HP soft font letter. Use OKHL to create a font

madhu@hubcap.clemson.edu (M a d h u Raman) (05/03/89)

In article <995@jarthur.Claremont.EDU>, ftrue@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Dr. Destruction) writes:
> The following is a document prepared by Keith Graham, the author of
> a popular P/D software package called "Optiks". Optiks is more or less a
> "graphics spreadsheet" concept ......

**GREAT**

>     ... and a very few EPS files. Combination of Raster and Vector
>     May be supported but for write only and then only Raster.

...any equivalent Raster <-> Vector Interconversion Programs available ?

Also, any anonymous ftp sites for Optiks ?
	--madhu@hubcap.clemson.edu