[comp.graphics] Expanding your camera's dynamic range

james@rover.bsd.uchicago.edu (05/08/89)

	Well, barring the hopefully eventual creation of sci.med.physics (plug!)
I thought this would be the next best forum to open comments on an idea that
someone else may have already tried.

	I have a problem, in that I am digitizing x-ray films with a laser
scanner, an optical drum scanner, and a ccd camera.  The first two modalities
obviously produce better images (re. dynamic range, resolution, and SNR), but
the camera is the most economically feasible method.  Many problems of local
contrast enhancement and noise can be addressed by image processing methods,
but the overall contrast range is limited by my camera and digitizer (8 bits).

	I am now trying a method for expanding the dynamic range.  I capture
two images, one at a low iris setting and one at a high setting, By taking
histograms of these two images, I find the levels at which useful information
gets "washed out" by either flooding at high intensities or quantum effects
at low intensities.  I take ranges of useful grey values in the two images,
expand them to the same scale, and add the two images.  I then do linear
histogram equalization to normalize the contrast distribution (which is
no longer linear).  My results are ok, in that I can now see contrast in both
the very bright and very dark regions of the film, but my normalization
inherently enhances noise.  I have tried clipping the histogram, but there
still must be a better way.  My next attempt will be with adaptive histogram
equalization, but I am open to suggestions!

James Balter
James@rover.uchicago.edu
"If the hat fits, slice it!"

jwi@lzfme.att.com (Jim Winer @ AT&T, Middletown, NJ) (05/10/89)

In article <3113@tank.uchicago.edu>, james@rover.bsd.uchicago.edu writes:

> 	I have a problem, in that I am digitizing x-ray films with ...
> a ccd camera. ... Many problems of local
> contrast enhancement and noise can be addressed by image processing methods,
> but the overall contrast range is limited by my camera and digitizer (8 bits).
>
> James Balter

On industrial ($1,500 up) and broadcast cameras ($15,000 up) there is
an internal adjustment that is used to set the signal level. You can
adjust the black level (knee at 7.5 IRE units?) and the maximum
white level. Thus, you can set the dynamic range to match your needs
exactly. You will also need a waveform monitor to set these levels
properly. Unfortunately, I don't remember exactly which controls are
used. I suggest that you contact your nearest (see yellow pages)
professional/industrial dealer for Sony, Panasonic, JVC or
Ikegami. (Note that some dealers are _box houses_ and some actually
know something. A consumer dealer will be of no use as these
controls are not present on consumer equipment.)

Jim Winer ..!lzfme!jwi

I believe in absolute freedom of the press.
        Pax Probiscus!  Please do not email anything that
        requires a response outside AT&T. I receive email
        okay, but can rarely send a reply sucessfully. The
        opinions expressed here are not necessarily
Those persons who advocate censorship offend my religion.