[comp.graphics] New algorithm: fast integer-only line clipping

mdoerr@incas.UUCP (Michael Doerr) (04/27/89)

Last year I developed a fast 2-D integer-only line clipping algorithm that is
approximately TEN times faster than floating point based line clipping
algorithms. I have written a paper on that subject, which contains a detailed
proof of the algorithm, theoretically and empirically determined performance
charts (New Algorithm vs. Cohen-Sutherland, Liang-Barsky, Sobkow-Pospisil-Yang)
and a sketch for a parallel realization in hardware or low-level firmware.

I submitted the paper ("A New Approach to Parametric Line Clipping") to the
1989 IEEE Region 8 Student Paper Contest and was subsequently invited to the
oral presentation, which took place some weeks ago. Unfortunately (for me)
all of the seven presented papers were really good and mine wasn't among
the three winners. Thus it won't be published in the "IEEE STUDENT PAPERS".

That's why I'm now looking for a different way to make the algorithm known
to a wide audience. Any advice on the following questions would be greatly
appreciated:
1. Should I submit my paper to a computer graphics conference or should I
submit to one of the well known magazines?
2. To which magazine should I submit? ACM TOG and IEEE CG&A don't seem to
have a very fast turn around time. Or should I try one of the popular
magazines, like Dr. Dobbs Journal?
3. Concerning copyright: Is it possible (or even sensible) to post the
algorithm to comp.graphics without knowing when and where the paper will
be published?

Thanks a lot in advance, Michael.

Michael "The Turtle" Doerr			%% /-------\ %%
CS Department (FB Informatik)			  %  o   o  %
University of Kaiserslautern			-{ o   o   o }==O
D-6750 Kaiserslautern (West Germany)		  %  o   o  %
uucp: ...!uunet!unido!incas!mdoerr		%% \-------/ %%

turk@Apple.COM (Ken "Turk" Turkowski) (05/01/89)

In article <2052@incas.UUCP> mdoerr@incas.UUCP (Michael Doerr) writes:
>3. Concerning copyright: Is it possible (or even sensible) to post the
>algorithm to comp.graphics without knowing when and where the paper will
>be published?

The algorithm is one thing, the paper is another.  You should be able
to publish the paper after you publish the algorithm, as long as the
net-posted algorithm doen't contain the same information as the paper.

As far as legal rights for patents, the first publication or posting
voids all patent rights in Europe, but you have a year to apply for a
patent in the U.S.
--
Ken Turkowski @ Apple Computer, Inc., Cupertino, CA
Internet: turk@apple.com

andrea@hp-sdd.hp.com (Andrea K. Frankel) (05/09/89)

In article <1610@internal.Apple.COM> turk@Apple.COM (Ken "Turk" Turkowski) writes:
>As far as legal rights for patents, the first publication or posting
>voids all patent rights in Europe, but you have a year to apply for a
>patent in the U.S.

Which brings us back to the original question, is posting something in a
usenet group = "Publishing" in strict legal terms?  If so, those
concerned with protecting their rights would be wise to limit
distribution to "na" or something similar, to avoid getting it to
Europe!

Andrea Frankel, Hewlett-Packard (San Diego Division) (619) 592-4664
	"wake now!  Discover that you are the song that the morning brings..."
UUCP     : {hplabs|nosc|hpfcla|ucsd}!hp-sdd!andrea
Internet : andrea%hp-sdd@hp-sde.sde.hp.com (or @nosc.mil, @ucsd.edu)
CSNET    : andrea%hp-sdd@hplabs.csnet
USnail   : 16399 W. Bernardo Drive, San Diego CA 92127-1899 USA

jair@ficc.uu.net (jair bobys) (05/10/89)

In article <1986@hp-sdd.hp.com>, andrea@hp-sdd.hp.com (Andrea K. Frankel) writes:
> In article <1610@internal.Apple.COM> turk@Apple.COM (Ken "Turk" Turkowski) writes:
> >As far as legal rights for patents, the first publication or posting
> >voids all patent rights in Europe, but you have a year to apply for a
> >patent in the U.S.
>
> Which brings us back to the original question, is posting something in a
> usenet group = "Publishing" in strict legal terms?  If so, those

As far as U.S. Copyright law is concerned, posting a program on an electronic
bulletin board counts as publishing the program.  I'm not sure if it is the
same for patents.