[comp.graphics] High res

ldk@udev.cdc.com (ld kelley x-2046) (04/26/89)

A while back I FTP'd a number of color sun rasterfiles and highres color
raster files from somewhere (I think it was Univ. of New Mexico).  Well
being very busy I just now got around to looking at them and I am at a
loss as to how to display them.  The README file with the highres files
indicates that they are compressed sun rasterfile format, but the uncompressed
files don't match the documentation and screenload complains about the format.

The other color files are documented as missing the header info.  But being
new to the Sun world, and not having 24 hour access to the workstation, I
have not been able to work it out (for some reason, the management wants
me to work on 'work related' items while at work :-) ).
Could someone point me in the right direction.

I also apologies for this general post, instead of sending mail to the
author of the file, but I also misplaced his name and mail address.  I will
do better next time.

Thanks,

pvo@uther.CS.ORST.EDU (Paul V O'Neill) (05/10/89)

In article <395@punjab.udev.cdc.com> ldk@udev.cdc.com (ld kelley x-2046) writes:
>A while back I FTP'd a number of color sun rasterfiles and highres color
>raster files from somewhere (I think it was Univ. of New Mexico).  Well
>   [woes -- no headers, not rasterfiles, etc.]

From sun-spots:

------------------------------

Date:    26 Mar 89 00:54:35 GMT
From:    cyrus@pprg.unm.edu (Tait Cyrus)
Subject: high res color images available

Three new image related items available from image archive site
pprg.unm.edu.

Machine name:           pprg.unm.edu
IP numbers:             192.31.154.1 or 129.24.13.10
Availability:           anonymous ftp ONLY (please access during
                        non-peak hours).
FTP instructions:       -use "anonymous" or "ftp" as an account name
                        -use your e-mail address for a password
                        -don't forget to set binary mode
General comments:       have fun :^)

1) Eight (8) high resolution 24-bit color images have been added to the
   image archive on pprg.unm.edu (path /pub/images/color/new_high_res).
   These new images are just high resolution versions of some of the
   ones that were previously available (path /pub/images/color/new).
   The following shows the sizes of these images.  There are READMEs
   which fully describe the images.

        beach1  - 1136 x 785 (uncompressed file sizes 892560)
        beach2  - 1128 x 785 (uncompressed file sizes 886280)
        boat3   - 1144 x 777 (uncompressed file sizes 889682)
        boat4   - 752 x 900 (uncompressed file sizes 677594)
        boat5   - 752 x 900 (uncompressed file size 677600)
        boats   - 1080 x 777 (uncompressed file sizes 839960)
        palms   - 1153 x 781 (uncompressed file sizes 900512)
        tree    - 736 x 900 (uncompressed file sizes 663200)

2) Eight (8) high resolution 8-bit Sunraster files images have been
   added to the image archive on pprg.unm.edu
   (path /pub/images/color/sun_new_high_res).
   These new images are just Sunraster file versions of all the
   new high res images mentioned above.

3) Two programs that allow you to convert the three (3) 8-bit raw
   files that make up each image into a 24-bit and 8-bit color
   Sunraster file (path /pub/images/color/src).

---
W. Tait Cyrus   (505) 277-0806          e-mail: cyrus@pprg.unm.edu
University of New Mexico
Dept of ECE - Parallel Processing Research Group
Albuquerque, New Mexico 87131

Paul O'Neill                 pvo@oce.orst.edu
Coastal Imaging Lab
OSU--Oceanography
Corvallis, OR  97331         503-754-3251