[comp.graphics] Looking for PHIGS

jdm@hodge.UUCP (jdm) (04/28/89)

	I'm looking for any information on PHIGS (Programmer's
	Hierarchial Interactive Graphics Standard).  Is it P/D
	or commercial?  Is the standard on line anywhere?  Any
	good books/articles on it?  Ect., ect.

--

	jdm@hodge.cts.com [uunet zardoz vdelta crash]!hodge!jdm

	James D. Murray, Ethnounixologist
	Hodge Computer Research Corporation
	1588 North Batavia Street
	Orange, California 92667  USA
	TEL: (714) 998-7750	Ask for James
	FAX: (714) 921-8038	Wait for the carrier

loren@amcom.UUCP (loren cahlander) (04/28/89)

In article <12021@hodge.UUCP> jdm@hodge.UUCP (jdm) writes:

>	I'm looking for any information on PHIGS (Programmer's
>	Hierarchial Interactive Graphics Standard).  Is it P/D
>	or commercial?  Is the standard on line anywhere?  Any
>	good books/articles on it?  Ect., ect.

I would also be interested in this information.
--
Loren D. Cahlander                                 AMCOM Software, Inc.
                                                   5555 West 78th St  Suite Q

miq@chromavac.SGI.COM (Miq Millman) (05/01/89)

In article <10@amcom.UUCP>, loren@amcom.UUCP (loren cahlander) writes:
> In article <12021@hodge.UUCP> jdm@hodge.UUCP (jdm) writes:
> >
> >	I'm looking for any information on PHIGS (Programmer's
> >	Hierarchial Interactive Graphics Standard).  Is it P/D
> >	or commercial?  Is the standard on line anywhere?  Any
> >	good books/articles on it?  Ect., ect.
>
> I would also be interested in this information.
> --
> Loren D. Cahlander                                 AMCOM Software, Inc.
>                                                    5555 West 78th St  Suite Q
> UUCP:  uunet!rosevax!nis!amcom!loren               Minneapolis, MN 55435
>                                                    (612) 829-7445

Template Graphics Software, Inc.
9685 Scranton Road
San Diego, CA 92121

Manufactures a package called Figaro, which is Phigs for various workstations.
You might try them out.

I have no relationship with TGS other than I know they exist.  Whether they
know I exist is debatable.
--
"What is the greatest joy?"
	"The joy of duty!"

ftrue@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Dr. Destruction) (05/02/89)

In article <12021@hodge.UUCP> jdm@hodge.UUCP (jdm) writes:

>	I'm looking for any information on PHIGS (Programmer's
>	Hierarchial Interactive Graphics Standard).  Is it P/D
>	or commercial?  Is the standard on line anywhere?  Any
>	good books/articles on it?  Ect., ect.

PHIGS is a ANSI/ISO standard (DIS 9592 Pt 1-3, 1988), meaning that it is
not really P/D or commercial, it is simply a government standard. It's
implementation in various software packages is P/D & commercial, although
to date I have only seen commercial applications. As PHIGS is relatively
new, and more than a bit involved, I don't think there are too many P/D
PHIGS implementations around yet...I could be wrong.

The only books I have used (beyond the actual standard) are:

1) Brown, M., and Heck, M., _Understanding_PHIGS_, Megatek Corportation,
	San Diego, 1985.
2) National Computer Graphics Association, _Standards_for_the_Computer_
	Graphics_Industry_, Fairfax, VA, 1986.

and several articles in the "IEEE Computer Graphics and Applications"
journal. The actual standard is available from the GPO or from Global
Documentation, Irvine, CA - (714) 261-1455. Global is an excellent (albeit
expensive) source for Government/Mil spec docs FAST.

Frederick True        	ftrue@hmcvax.BITNET    ftrue@jarthur.claremont.edu
Harvey Mudd College   	Life before coffee is no life for me.

jch@apollo.COM (Jan Hardenbergh) (05/03/89)

> I'm looking for any information on PHIGS (Programmer's
> Hierarchial Interactive Graphics Standard).  Is it P/D
> or commercial?  Is the standard on line anywhere?  Any
> good books/articles on it?  Ect., ect.

The following was an incomplete answer. Template is one of many vendors
supporting PHIGS. It runs on almost every workstation either by a
vendors native (Apollo/HP, Sun, DEC, IBM) implementation or by
Template's.

> Template Graphics Software, Inc.
> 9685 Scranton Road
> San Diego, CA 92121

I'm pretty sure there are no public domain PHIGS implemtations. In
1991 or so PEX ( PHIGS extension to X ) is scheduled to be released
from MIT. That will be a public domain implementation.

The standard is not online anywhere because ANSI gets a decent amount of
it's revenue buy selling those olive green books. The standard is ANSI
X3.144-1988. ANSI says they should have it soon. You can send $50.00 to
( $45.00 + $5.00 shipping )

        ANSI / Attention Sales
        1430 Broadway
        New York, NY 10018

If you can't wait for ANSI to publish it you might still be able to get
the 87 draft from Global (?Engineering) by calling (800) 854-7179.

Good books?

Of course the easiest way to get the best PHIGS info is buy ordering

    Programming with Domain/PHIGS  009701-A00
    Domain/PHIGS Call Reference    009702-A00

from Instant Apollo 1-800-225-5290, have your credit card ready. They
are somewhere around $35.00. Domain/PHIGS is based on the Oct 87 draft
which became the standard (PHIGS88 to distinguish it from PHIGS PLUS).
PHIGS+ Version 3.0 was published in ACM Computer Graphics July 1988.
It has been adopted by the same standards body that did PHIGS X3H3.1.

There is also a short book called Understanding PHIGS from Template
and a Video tape from RPI (518)266-6752. Have fun.

Jan Hardenbergh    - jch@apollo.com -        (508) 256-6600
Apollo Computer,   300 Billerica Road, Chelmsford, MA 01824

garyb@hcx1.SSD.HARRIS.COM (05/09/89)

I recently ordered the PHIGS standard from ANSI.  It is my understanding that
X3-144 also comes with X3-144.1, the PHIGS FORTRAN language bindings.

Hence my question:
	When can we expect to see the equivalent C language bindings
	from ANSI?

I realize that these bindings are probably undergoing standardization
as I speak.  I would even bet that there is probably a reasonably
stable working draft or dpANS somewhere.  So does anyone know what
stage of the standards pipeline the C (and other) language bindings
for PHIGS are in?  Pointers to the appropriate standards
committee/chairperson(s) would be appreciated.

Question for someone in the know (perhaps there's a committee member
somewhere who actually reads comp.graphics):

	Is there a commercial version of PHIGS that the C language
	bindings are being substanitially derived from ?

--
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
| Gary Barton                             | Harris Computer Systems Division |

scjones@sdrc.UUCP (Larry Jones) (05/11/89)

In article <94000007@hcx1>, garyb@hcx1.SSD.HARRIS.COM writes:
> 	When can we expect to see the equivalent C language bindings
> 	[for PHIGS] from ANSI?
>
> I realize that these bindings are probably undergoing standardization
> as I speak.  I would even bet that there is probably a reasonably
> stable working draft or dpANS somewhere.  So does anyone know what
> stage of the standards pipeline the C (and other) language bindings
> for PHIGS are in?  Pointers to the appropriate standards
> committee/chairperson(s) would be appreciated.

The C language binding is (as far as I know) still a Draft
Proposed international standard.  Last I heard, the second draft
is scheduled to be available for review in the very near future.
The plan is to have a Draft International Standard by the end of
the year provided that there is a DIS for C by then (they don't
want to have the C binding not conform to the C standard!).

The extended Pascal binding is on the same schedule, Ada should
be a DIS by now with an actual standard expected by August.

The related committees are ISO SC24/WG4 which is chaired by Barry
Shepherd of IBM (817-962-4269) and ANSI X3H3.4 which is chaired
by Madeleine Sparks of Unisys (205-535-2545).
----
Larry Jones                         UUCP: uunet!sdrc!scjones
SDRC                                      scjones@SDRC.UU.NET
Milford, OH  45150-2789             AT&T: (513) 576-2070
"You can't get a body like mine in a bottle --
unless you push REAL HARD." - Judy Tenuta / Dr. Pepper