[comp.graphics] Flavors of PHIGS?

gil@limbic.UUCP (Gil Kloepfer Jr.) (05/12/89)

I am involved in a software development project involving GIS and interactive
modification of map-based data.  We have determined that PHIGS would be the
graphics "standard" of choice, but are now confused as to "which PHIGS" to
use.  I would appreciate any help from the net on the considerations
listed below.  Please note that we wish our application to be as portable
across various hardware platforms as possible (especially the inexpensive
personal workstation platforms).

	1.  Suppose I were to develop under a SUN hardware platform?  Why
	    would I use TGS FIGARO over SunPHIGS or vice versa?  Does one
	    or the other support more different types of digitizing tables
	    and plotter devices?  Do any require OS-specific calls to
	    initiate graphic "windows"?

	2.  Has anyone out there used FIGARO and have any success/horror
	    stories with it?

	3.  Has anyone seen a PHIGS implementation on a 386-based PC
	    running UNIX (such as Interactive 386/ix) and the Matrox
	    graphics card under X or some other window system (??) and
	    feel that it's worth a honorable mention?  TGS says they're
	    going to release FIGARO in this (kind of?) platform, but
	    has not officially commented on it yet.

Personally, I feel that it is a bad idea to marry oneself to a graphics
package sold by a hardware vendor since it is their intention to keep you
buying their hardware.  For this reason, I am partial to FIGARO, and have
heard good things about it.  On the other hand, being a newcomer to this kind
of development, I really don't know for sure if the talk about FIGARO is
for real.

Thanks in advance for any assistance on this subject.

------

jch@apollo.COM (Jan Hardenbergh) (05/15/89)

> From: gil@limbic.UUCP (Gil Kloepfer Jr.)
> Date: 12 May 89 14:27 GMT

> 	1.  Suppose I were to develop under a SUN hardware platform?  Why
> 	    would I use TGS FIGARO over SunPHIGS or vice versa?  Does one
> 	    or the other support more different types of digitizing tables
> 	    and plotter devices?  Do any require OS-specific calls to
> 	    initiate graphic "windows"?

Since PHIGS is now a real standard you want to make sure the PHIGS you use
complies with ANSI X3.144-1988. Template's Figaro has been aropund for years
and was orginally based on earlier drafts of the PHIGS standard. The October
1987 draft became X3.144-1988 AKA PHIGS88.

Now that it is a standard there should be fewer questions about protability.
Another thing pulling for partability is a few heavy weight customers demanding
common data record representations for common device initialization.

I think vendor's native implementations will provide better integration with
other system utilities. For example, Apollo's Domain/PHIGS allows PHIGS to
be initialized in an X window supplied by the application. This provides
the full performance of a native PHIGS along with the niceties that X can
offer for building UI's. I believe other implementations provide this also.
This will also be trivial when PEX becomes an X consortium approved extension.

PEX is the PHIGS extension to X. But, it is not scheduled to be "blessed"
until late 1990 when the sample implementation is given to MIT.

-Jan Hardenbergh    - jch@apollo.com - (508) 256-6600