[comp.graphics] Pixar Animation Film

dunning@wolf.CS.WISC.EDU (Mike Dunninger) (05/10/89)

Hello,
   A month or so ago I saw a short animated movie called "The Tin Toy"
made by Pixar.  As the movie was generated entirely by computer graphics,
some people in the department here have expressed an interest in obtaining
videos of this movie.  Does anybody know how we might do this?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Mike Dunninger

foo@titan.rice.edu (Mark Hall) (05/10/89)

In article <7500@spool.cs.wisc.edu> dunning@wolf.CS.WISC.EDU (Mike Dunninger) writes:
>Hello,
>   A month or so ago I saw a short animated movie called "The Tin Toy"
>made by Pixar.  As the movie was generated entirely by computer graphics,
>some people in the department here have expressed an interest in obtaining
>videos of this movie.  Does anybody know how we might do this?

>Mike Dunninger

   SIGGRAPH Video Review Issue 38/39 (2 issues on a tape)
 has this video. Since the film was not complete as of the
 conference last august, only part was shown then. My copy
 of the tape has not arrived, (I was quoted 6-8 weeks delivery).
 Does anyone know whether the SVR has the complete "Tin Toy"
 or just the part shown last year?

   Siggraph Video Review can be ordered by calling 1-800-342-6626
 or (301)-528-4261. Prices are $50(members) and $60(non-members)
 and are available in VHS or 3/4" U-matic format.

 - mark

spl@mcnc.org (Steve Lamont) (05/11/89)

In article <7500@spool.cs.wisc.edu> dunning@wolf.CS.WISC.EDU (Mike Dunninger) writes:
>Hello,
>   A month or so ago I saw a short animated movie called "The Tin Toy"
>made by Pixar.  As the movie was generated entirely by computer graphics,
>some people in the department here have expressed an interest in obtaining
>videos of this movie.  Does anybody know how we might do this?
>
>Thanks in advance for your help,
>
>Mike Dunninger

Buy a Pixar? :-)

herzog@dogwalk.Sun.COM (Brian Herzog, Sun Microsystems, GPD) (05/11/89)

In article <3245@kalliope.rice.edu> foo@titan.rice.edu (Mark Hall) writes:
>In article <7500@spool.cs.wisc.edu> dunning@wolf.CS.WISC.EDU (Mike Dunninger) writes:
>>Hello,
>>   A month or so ago I saw a short animated movie called "The Tin Toy"
>>made by Pixar.  As the movie was generated entirely by computer graphics,
>>some people in the department here have expressed an interest in obtaining
>>videos of this movie.  Does anybody know how we might do this?
>
>>Mike Dunninger
>
>   SIGGRAPH Video Review Issue 38/39 (2 issues on a tape)
> has this video. Since the film was not complete as of the
> conference last august, only part was shown then. My copy
> of the tape has not arrived, (I was quoted 6-8 weeks delivery).
> Does anyone know whether the SVR has the complete "Tin Toy"
> or just the part shown last year?
>
>   Siggraph Video Review can be ordered by calling 1-800-342-6626
> or (301)-528-4261. Prices are $50(members) and $60(non-members)
> and are available in VHS or 3/4" U-matic format.
>
> - mark

Close, but not quite.  SIGGRAPH Video Review Issues 38 & 39 together
contain the complete SIGGRAPH '88 Film & Video Show.  The Film & Video
Show included an incomplete version of Tin Toy.  That same incomplete
version is on SIGGRAPH Video Review Issue 38.

Mike, if the people in your department are interested in seeing not
just Tin Toy, but a broad spectrum of computer graphics and animation,
then the Video Reviews are for you.  But if what they want is the complete
Tin Toy, they should buy it elsewhere.

Mark gave correct pricing for the SIGGRAPH Video Reviews, but neglected
to point out that in 3/4" U-matic format, each issue is on a separate tape,
and that pricing is *per tape*.  So in 3/4" format, the issues are $50
(member, or $60 non-member) *each* while in 1/2" VHS format the two issues
are combined into a single $50 (or $60) tape.

Order SIGGRAPH Video Reviews from:

    ACM Order Dept.
    PO Box 64145
    Baltimore, MD 21264
    (800) 342-6626 (U.S., except, Alaska, Hawaii & Maryland)
    (301) 528-4261

Luxo, Jr., Red's Dream and Tin Toy, all by PIXAR, are available for sale,
individually or on a combined tape, from:

    Direct Cinema Limited
    Post Office Box 69799
    Los Angeles, CA 90069
    U.S.A.
    (213) 652-8000

Contact them for pricing, shipping terms, etc.

-Brian Herzog
herzog@sun.com

jdm@hodge.UUCP (jdm) (05/12/89)

	I have the video tape of "Luxo Jr.", "Red's Dream", and "Tiny Toy".
	We purchased it from Direct Cinema Limited, PO Box 69799 Los Angles,
	CA 90069 (213) 652-8000.  It is a Pixar Production directed by
	J. Lasseter and W. Reeves and has a run time of 12 minutes.  There
	is a nice little write up of all three video "shorts" included with
	the tape.  I don't know the price--give'em a call and find out.

--

	jdm@hodge.cts.com [uunet zardoz vdelta crash]!hodge!jdm

	James D. Murray, Ethnounixologist
	Hodge Computer Research Corporation
	1588 North Batavia Street
	Orange, California 92667  USA

	TEL: (714) 998-7750	Ask for James
	FAX: (714) 921-8038	Wait for the carrier

lwv@n8emr.UUCP (Larry W. Virden) (05/14/89)

With regard to the SigGraph Video Review - is there perhaps a catalog
type service in which one could order specific tapes rather than subscribing
to a $50/$60 a tape service?  I mean, my interest is personal rather than
business - I cant write that cost off!
--
Larry W. Virden	 674 Falls Place, Reynoldsburg, OH 43068 (614) 864-8817
n8emr!lwv@cis.ohio-state.edu (Internet)

herzog@dogwalk.Sun.COM (Brian Herzog, Sun Microsystems, GPD) (05/16/89)

In article <1096@n8emr.UUCP>, lwv@n8emr.UUCP (Larry W. Virden) writes:

> With regard to the SigGraph Video Review - is there perhaps a catalog
> type service in which one could order specific tapes rather than subscribing
> to a $50/$60 a tape service?  I mean, my interest is personal rather than
> business - I cant write that cost off!
> --

The source for SIGGRAPH Video Reviews given earlier, the ACM Order
Department, *is* a "catalog type service."  You place an order for as many
or as few issues as you wish.  There is no continuing obligation whatsoever.
To my knowledge, no one has ever expressed or implied (on or off the net)

-Brian Herzog
herzog@sun.com