[comp.graphics] Issues in computer imaging of porn

phil@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (05/18/89)

Computer graphic porn could also raise some new and complicated questions in
our society.  Given that much of computer imaging is totally generated
without (live) subjects, it could add a new twist to certain issues.

Consider that the arguments against conventional (not computer generated)
pornography as being abusive of their subjects (women, children).  It is my
understanding that child pornography is outlawed (even possesion) because of
the certainty that its creation is a serious form of child abuse.  With
computer generated imaging of pornography, these issues have to be dealt
with all over again.  This time, greater importance might have to be put
on whether the person who views such pornography is likely to pursue the
abuses the images portray.

--phil howard--

sfisher@abingdon.SGI.COM (Scott Fisher) (05/19/89)

In article <5300007@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>, phil@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

> Computer graphic porn could also raise some new and complicated questions in
> our society.  Given that much of computer imaging is totally generated
> without (live) subjects, it could add a new twist to certain issues.

Not really a new twist.  Most written fiction is generated without live
subjects--that's the definition of fiction.

> Consider that the arguments against conventional (not computer generated)
> pornography as being abusive of their subjects (women, children).  It is my
> understanding that child pornography is outlawed (even possesion) because of
> the certainty that its creation is a serious form of child abuse.  With

Although your understanding is probably not wrong, it is somewhat
limited.  Consider the case of printed pornography, where nothing
exists but some inked letters on pieces of paper.  Certainly no
fictional account can be accused of abusing specific individuals.
(Libel suits notwithstanding, of course.)  The issue is not whether
the _models_ are being abused, but--and this is only one issue in
the moral argument against pornography--whether the pornogrpahy
does in fact tend to make its readers more likely to view the
subjects of the pornographic material as something less than fully
human, as objects for the satisfaction of prurient interests.

> computer generated imaging of pornography, these issues have to be dealt
> with all over again.  This time, greater importance might have to be put
> on whether the person who views such pornography is likely to pursue the
> abuses the images portray.

Or whether the abuses affect, in concrete ways, other members of
the class of person being portrayed in the pornography.  I assure
you that the feminist objection to pornography (as I have been
given to understand it) goes much farther than protection of the
rights of the models used in porn shoots.

(The fact that your observations aren't unique does nothing,
by the way, to take away from their insightfulness.)