[comp.graphics] Looking For Digital Halftone Book ????

heins@hpbsla.HP.COM (doug heins) (05/12/89)

Does anyone out there in NetLand have any information concerning a book
that came out about 1 year ago called "Digital Halftoning" ?  I am not
sure of the author or publishing house, and I hope that someone out there
might be able to point me in the right direction.  Thanks !!

Doug Heins
HP Boise Division
(208) 323-3938
heins@hpbsl88
heins%hpbsl88@ce.HP.COM
...!hplabs!hpcea!hpbsla!hpbsdg!heins

tow@arisia.Xerox.COM (Rob Tow) (05/19/89)

In article <370003@hpbsla.HP.COM> heins@hpbsla.HP.COM (doug heins) writes:

>Does anyone out there in NetLand have any information concerning a book
>that came out about 1 year ago called "Digital Halftoning" ?  I am not
>sure of the author or publishing house, and I hope that someone out there
>might be able to point me in the right direction.  Thanks !!
>
>Doug Heins
>HP Boise Division
>(208) 323-3938
>heins@hpbsl88
>heins%hpbsl88@ce.HP.COM
>...!hplabs!hpcea!hpbsla!hpbsdg!heins

"Digital Halftoning", Robert Ulichney, The M.I.T. Press, 1987,
ISBN 0-262-21009-6.
"Based on a Ph.D. thesis at M.I.T. in 1986 entitled 'Digital Halftoning
and the physical reconstruction function'".

My copy cost $35, from the Stanford University bookstore.

It is near state of the art; the only algorithms that will do better are
closely held trade secrets.

Note that this work treats only binary (bi-level) monochrome halftoning;
multilevel and color halftoning are treated only in passing.

---

Rob Tow
Member Research Staff
Electronic Document Lab
Xerox PARC
3333 Coyote Hill Drive
Palo Alto, CA 94304
(415)-494-4807

nobody@tekecs.GWD.TEK.COM (-for inetd server command) (05/20/89)

In article <370003@hpbsla.HP.COM> heins@hpbsla.HP.COM (doug heins) writes:

>Does anyone out there in NetLand have any information concerning a book
>that came out about 1 year ago called "Digital Halftoning" ?  I am not
>sure of the author or publishing house, and I hope that someone out there
>might be able to point me in the right direction.  Thanks !!
>
>Doug Heins
>HP Boise Division
>(208) 323-3938
>heins@hpbsl88
>heins%hpbsl88@ce.HP.COM
>...!hplabs!hpcea!hpbsla!hpbsdg!heins

Plucked directly from our tech library catalog:

Title:       Digital halftoning
Author:      Ulichney, Robert
Resp_Stm:    Robert Ulichney
Publisher:   MIT Press
Place_of_pub: Cambridge, Mass.
Date_of_pub: c1987
Pages:       362 p.
Notes:       "Based on a Ph. D. thesis at M.I.T. in 1986 entitled `Digital halft
oning and the physical reconstruction function.'"
             Bibliography: p.351-58.
             Includes index.
Subjects:    Computer graphics
             Image processing--Digital techniques
LCCN:        87-3182
ISBN:        0262210096

Bruce Cohen
brucec@orca.wv.tek.com
Interactive Technologies Division, Tektronix, Inc.
M/S 61-028, P.O. Box 1000, Wilsonville, OR  97070