[comp.graphics] IGES files of CARS wanted

woo@pioneer.arc.nasa.gov (Alex Woo) (05/20/89)

Some years ago GM offered IGES files of some of their cars.
If you have some of those, I would appreciate receiving
one of a sports car.

Judging from the CAD/CAM ads, others must have IGES files of
Mazda RX-7's and Porsche's.  If you can, I would appreciate
receiving one of these.

Thanks.

Alex Woo
woo@pioneer.arc.nasa.gov

foo@titan.rice.edu (Mark Hall) (05/21/89)

In article <25629@ames.arc.nasa.gov> woo@pioneer.arc.nasa.gov.UUCP (Alex Woo) writes:

>Some years ago GM offered IGES files of some of their cars.
>If you have some of those, I would appreciate receiving
>one of a sports car.
>Alex Woo
>woo@pioneer.arc.nasa.gov

   On Feb 4, 1988 Mark Charette said he would be able to
 offer IGES versions of cars. His address was

    {sun} {cbosgd!edstb}edsews!charette

   US Mail address was Electronic Data Systems
                       1400 N. Woodwards Ave
                       Bloomfield Hills MI 48013

   I sent him a cartridge tape as requested. He said later
  (much later) that GM had not been willing to part with the
  descriptions. He never returned my tape (Are you still
  there, Mark? ;^) You might contact him, but I think the
  bosses nixed the idea.

    - mark hall

   PS. (this should be my .sig) Please do not post 100 "me too"
   articles when you see a request for something. Write the
   requestor. He can forward it to you if he gets it, or post
   if the thing ever materializes and lots of people want it.
   Notice that 43 people asked for human body descriptions but
   no one delivered?

charette@edsews.EDS.COM (Mark A. Charette) (05/21/89)

In article <3301@kalliope.rice.edu>, foo@titan.rice.edu (Mark Hall) writes:
> In article <25629@ames.arc.nasa.gov> woo@pioneer.arc.nasa.gov.UUCP (Alex Woo) writes:
> >
> >Some years ago GM offered IGES files of some of their cars.
> >If you have some of those, I would appreciate receiving
>    On Feb 4, 1988 Mark Charette said he would be able to
>  offer IGES versions of cars. His address was
>    I sent him a cartridge tape as requested. He said later
>   (much later) that GM had not been willing to part with the
>   descriptions. He never returned my tape (Are you still
>   there, Mark? ;^) You might contact him, but I think the
>   bosses nixed the idea.

Still here. Sorry about the tape (send me your address again - I'll get a
replacement for you. Mea maxima culpa.)

About a year ago I thought I could get permission from GM (I work for
the infamous wholly owned but somewhat independent subsidiary for some
strange reason) to distribute geometric data. GM, I found out, is not happy
to part with any of it's data, even for discontinued models. Most (if not
all) of the reasons have to do with legal repercussions if some part of the
design is shown to be faulty. I'm sure most people would just like to have
a reasonable Corvette model to play with, but the lawyers see it differently.
BTW - my bosses never nixed the idea. The powers that be at GM (who really
own the stuff - I just play with it) are the ones to take the credit. I
feel a little sad not to be able to share what I get here - but I don't
spend millions developing the data, either. I have some beautiful NURB data
for inner door panels from GM Research that we used for "benchmarking" some
systems recently. A number of vendors had to sign in blood that the data
and programs were destroyed after the testing.

If anyone out there has access to a good 3D Coordinate Measuring Machine, I
have heard from a reputable source that the Testor's and Monogram models
are excellent sources for data. The geometry has been "sweetened" somewhat
to make the model look realistic (1/12 scale models of cars are typically
less high in scale than the real car. A completely accurate scale model
will not look correct - the curves that appear gentle on the full scale car
will appear very sharp on the model, something that isn't taken into
account on many scale renderings of actual objects. Too much realism can
lie ;^)

--
Mark Charette             "People only like me when I'm dumb!", he said.
Electronic Data Systems   "I like you a lot." was the reply.

svpillay@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Kanthan Pillay) (05/21/89)

In article <25629@ames.arc.nasa.gov> woo@pioneer.arc.nasa.gov.UUCP (Alex Woo) writes:

>Some years ago GM offered IGES files of some of their cars.
>If you have some of those, I would appreciate receiving
>one of a sports car.

Keep these symbols of male aggression and oppression out of this newsgroup. Why don't you try alt.specs?
		Kanthan.