[comp.graphics] Any thoughts on "comp.graphics.images"?

aoki@faerie.Berkeley.EDU (Paul M. Aoki) (05/20/89)

Perhaps there would be interest in a comp.graphics.images.  No, I'm not
talking about posting uuencoded X-rated images or those stupid line printer
pictures, but rather info on:

	image archives
		formats, listings
	image processing techniques
		halftoning
		colormap-hacking
		compression
		etc.
	image file formats and interchange
		2d (pixmap/bitmap)
		3d
	image scanning/display hardware
	etc.

Any thoughts?  Seems like a lot of recent comp.graphics traffic has been
on this kind of stuff and it seems to be pretty orthogonal to what the
rendering/visualization crowd is interested in.

Discussions of the morality or political correctness of a given image
would still go to talk.religion and soc.{,wo}men, of course.  (Even better,
alt.dev.null.)
--
Paul M. Aoki		aoki@postgres.Berkeley.EDU		...!ucbvax!aoki
   "I confess I have never seen SO many people take offense simultaneously."

spl@mcnc.org (Steve Lamont) (05/20/89)

In article <13998@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> aoki@faerie.Berkeley.EDU (Paul M. Aoki) writes:
>Perhaps there would be interest in a comp.graphics.images.  No, I'm not

Sounds like a good idea to me.  I vote "yes!"  Another useful thing
might also be to have some repository for other sorts of dataset... say,
three dimensional data... as well.  Any thoughts on that?  Does such a
beastie already exist somewhere out there in net land??

>Discussions of the morality or political correctness of a given image
>would still go to talk.religion and soc.{,wo}men, of course.  (Even better,
>alt.dev.null.)

Maybe yes, maybe no.  I do think we need to have an awareness (ugh!
awful word) when it comes to these sorts of things.  As (I hope)
responsible practitioners of the art of computer graphic we should take
some care to mitigate the social consequences of our work.  I don't
advocate censorship in any way, other than some form of responsible self
censorship -- will my posting cause harm to others?

Does this make sense?  Does it even parse?

--
							spl
Steve Lamont, sciViGuy			EMail:	spl@ncsc.org

steve@umigw.MIAMI.EDU (steve emmerson) (05/21/89)

As a member of the Satellite Remote-Sensing Group, I would subscribe to
"comp.graphics.images" if it existed.  We deal with almost everything
previously mentioned (but not the 3-D part).

If it existed, I might even contribute (and then we'd really be in
trouble! ;-).
--
Steve Emmerson                     Inet: steve@umigw.miami.edu [128.116.10.1]
SPAN: miami::emmerson (host 3074::)      emmerson%miami.span@star.stanford.edu

flynn@pixel.cps.msu.edu (Patrick J. Flynn) (05/21/89)

In article <4489@alvin.mcnc.org> spl@mcnc.org.UUCP (Steve Lamont) writes:
>In article <13998@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> aoki@faerie.Berkeley.EDU (Paul M. Aoki) writes:
>>Perhaps there would be interest in a comp.graphics.images.  No, I'm not
>
>Sounds like a good idea to me.  I vote "yes!"

I don't think there's any question that many net-people are interested in
getting or trading images.  For that reason alone, c.g.i might be a
reasonable group to host *discussions* of images, i.e.

 "I'm implementing Boingle's color edge detection algorithm.  Can anyone
  suggest a good test image for it and give an anonymous ftp location?"

 "I have several hundred images available for ftp. Here's how to get them."

 "Can someone estimate the number of man-hours invested in writing code
  to convert from one image format to another, to the nearest thousand?"

One thing I would AVOID doing on c.g.i is POSTING images.  Even compressed
and uuencoded, images can be quite large.  Our research group has 100MB
of compressed images on-line at present.

How would your upstream newsfeed like to see his spool directory filling
up with articles beginning like this:

>From: flynn@pixel.cps.msu.edu
>Subject: MSU PRIP Lab Image Database: Image 32 of 1038

Don't get me wrong. If the interest can be demonstrated (and I think it can;
I'm interested, anyway) the group should be created.  If people start posting
images, though, you'll see USENET sites dropping it faster than you can say
`GIF.'

To confuse the issue, there is a moderated group called `comp.archives'
which sees a fair amount of traffic from sites with anonymous ftp
or UUCP access to lots of stuff, including images. How c.g.i would
dovetail with comp.archives (if at all), I have no idea.
Pat Flynn, CS, Mich. State U | "Don't eat with your hands, son; use your
flynn@cps.msu.edu            |  entrenching tool."
(517) 353-4638               |                       -Firesign Theatre

doug@xdos.UUCP (Doug Merritt) (05/22/89)

In article <4489@alvin.mcnc.org> spl@mcnc.org.UUCP (Steve Lamont) writes:
>In article <13998@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> aoki@faerie.Berkeley.EDU (Paul M. Aoki) writes:
>>Discussions of the morality or political correctness of a given image
>>would still go to talk.religion and soc.{,wo}men, of course.  [...]
>
>responsible practitioners of the art of computer graphic we should take
>some care to mitigate the social consequences of our work.  [...]

Sounds good, except that there'll never be any agreement on the subject.
Some people think that pornography is sexist and furthermore causes a
Jekyll & Hyde transformation of normal people into axe murdering rapists.
Others believe that porno doesn't &$#* people, people &$@* people, and
that it's all much ado about nothing.

So unlike easy ethical issues like theft, you won't be able to define
an accepted standards for the social consequences, let alone how or even
whether they should be mitigated.
	Doug
--
Doug Merritt		{pyramid,apple}!xdos!doug
Member, Crusaders for a Better Tomorrow		Professional Wildeyed Visionary

eugene@eos.UUCP (Eugene Miya) (05/23/89)

Opinions:
The potential for this is kind of neat, but the bandwidth will still
remain a problem.  I would hope that sound also be included (hopefully
lower bandwidth, after all Unix talk(1) and VMS phone are really dumb
programs, but then maybe that's because I saw an Etherphone).  Consider
the video and file formats problem, too.

Some of the problems I can envision:
1) There is agreement in the physical science community that things like
space images which principal investigators get a 1 year lead time are
respected.  The recent bouts with fusion and conductors cut this
"normal" review process to hell.  Do these people get respect?  Will
images just be released or could you just grab them as they become
available.  What happens to the PI?

2) There was a recent Nova looking at the Kennedy assination.  Just think
everybody with a computer can do their own analysis of all the Kennedy
photos and draw N different conclusions adding to the confusion.
You still need skilled (trained) intepreters.  Recogition isn't there yet.

3)  It would be useful to have "standard" images, standard formats, etc.
These will be needed for calibration, etc.

Another gross generalization from

--eugene miya, NASA Ames Research Center, eugene@aurora.arc.nasa.gov
  resident cynic at the Rock of Ages Home for Retired Hackers:
  "If my mail does not reach you, please accept my apology."
  {ncar,decwrl,hplabs,uunet}!ames!eugene
  				Live free or die.