[comp.graphics] Computer graphic porn

eugene@eos.UUCP (Eugene Miya) (05/18/89)

> puritans? .. inquisition?

No one expects the Spanish Inquisition. ..... 8)

Well, this topic has appeared in the National media twice.  The first
was the introduction of the video game Custer's Last Stand.  The second
was the introduction of various MacStacks which allowed image "interaction
[stripping]."

The topic has interested us (Bay Area ACM/SIGGRAPH) enough to discuss
the merits of having a meeting on the subject OF (not ON) computer porn
We have thus far decided NOT to have a meeting because there is the
"graphic" element without much "computer" [i.e., you can just go buy porn,
cheper right?].  The SF area is obviously one of the capitals.
Our core group has gone as far to actually obtain some of the aforementioned
stacks, the current VP and past program chair, a mother with a pre-teen
son, reported such stacks (as an example) offer options like race, gender,
sexual preference (straight or gay), and various levels of "excitment," etc.
Her option, BTW: "Well, dull, .....naw"

It is a topic which must be openly discussed (I s/usa/na/ so Kelly
might see this).  I don't think we can bury our heads in the sand on this one.
We tend to think of the high positive aspects of computer graphics:
cute animation, flight simulation or analytic graphics, but we also have this
seedier side.  Just like Hollywood.

I for one do not think the technology is just made for any application.
I would tend to prefer the technology be used for global rather than
"individual" benefit.

Personal opinion follows hit 'n' now

Before you send me mail asking for my opinion, I'll tell you I am a bit more
of a modern prude (I admit really dull).  I tend to side with that faction of
NOW which finds most porn degrading of women, but NOW is divided into
pro and con and has never come out with anything more than an over
general statement.  But, I do strongly defend the rights of the press and
personal freedom short of physical harm.  This will irk strong feminists.
I think it is better to interact positively with humans than the icons.
Before you said,
"Well in some cases it benefits," remember you are talking exception
to a generalization.  I do not see the benefit the majority gets. The
case is something of a weak one.
I do not think it leads to simply harmless diversions.  I will equate
it a tad less than but aligned with some types of military technology.
And this is a weak case, too.  It's my opinion.  Post yours.

Another generalization from

--eugene miya, NASA Ames Research Center, eugene@aurora.arc.nasa.gov
  resident cynic at the Rock of Ages Home for Retired Hackers:
  "If my mail does not reach you, please accept my apology."
  {ncar,decwrl,hplabs,uunet}!ames!eugene
  				Live free or die.

johnj@osiris.UUCP (John Johnston johnj@welch.jhu.edu) (05/19/89)

	What never ceases to amaze me is this concern about pornography
in America - we are perfectly content to let our kids sit through 2 hours of
Friday the 13th part XVIII, then have a fit when someone asks about X-rated
material. The kids who assaulted that woman in Central Park didn't learn
that behaviour from an X-rated movie - they learn that kind of crap from
role models like Freddie Kruger (sp?). I have watched a LOT of XXX rated
material in my life, and never seen violence half as graphic or degrading
of the victim as can be seen in ANY "Motel Hell" splatter movie that teens
flock to see. People don't learn to hose schoolyards with AK47's watching
"Deep Throat" - that's more along the lines of "Rambo". It is interesting,
if terrifying, that most of the "violence heros" in movies are portrayed
as asexual robots.

	As far as worrying about whether computer graphics will be wasted
on making computer generated kiddie-porn : don't hold your breath. We'll
be lucky if we don't see computer graphics being used to render super
realistic decapitations, guttings, and stabbings that would be hard to
produce with "live actors".

	(actually, the  "hard woman" can ad gives a great hint of some of
the limitless possibilities of computer-generated erotica)(not porn).

--mjr();
IamhavingfunIamhavingfunIamhavingfunIamhavingfunIamhavingfunIamhavingfun

billd@celerity.UUCP (Bill Davidson) (05/21/89)

In article <3656@eos.UUCP> eugene@eos.UUCP (Eugene Miya) writes:
>> puritans? .. inquisition?
>
>No one expects the Spanish Inquisition. ..... 8)

Yes but I always worry about it.  The Ministry of Truth is not
that far away.

>might see this).  I don't think we can bury our heads in the sand on this one.
>We tend to think of the high positive aspects of computer graphics:
>cute animation, flight simulation or analytic graphics, but we also have this
>seedier side.  Just like Hollywood.

Computer graphics is (dare I say it...) just another medium.  Aside from
the fact that it costs a lot more than most mediums, it isn't really much
different from any other medium.  Trying to impose arbitrary morals on
people doing computer graphics then is no different than imposing
arbitrary morals on books, magazines and movies (oh, I forgot, we already
do that :-).  This is wrong.  No one should have the right to censor
what others want to see, hear and read.

>I for one do not think the technology is just made for any application.
>I would tend to prefer the technology be used for global rather than
>"individual" benefit.

What makes computer graphics so special?  I personally love the
technology but I don't see at as beeing somehow "above" other
mediums.

For those people who want to know where to get GIF files, try asking
in comp.archives next time.  That's probably where this request
belonged.

Censorship is violence.

Bill Davidson		...!{ucsd,sdsu,fpssun,cogen,chip,photon}!celerity!billd

josef@ugun21.UUCP (05/23/89)

 > 	What never ceases to amaze me is this concern about pornography
 > in America - we are perfectly content to let our kids sit through 2 hours of
 > Friday the 13th part XVIII, then have a fit when someone asks about X-rated
 > material. The kids who assaulted that woman in Central Park didn't learn
 > that behaviour from an X-rated movie - they learn that kind of crap from
 > role models like Freddie Kruger (sp?). I have watched a LOT of XXX rated
 > material in my life, and never seen violence half as graphic or degrading
 > of the victim as can be seen in ANY "Motel Hell" splatter movie that teens
 > flock to see. People don't learn to hose schoolyards with AK47's watching
 > "Deep Throat" - that's more along the lines of "Rambo". It is interesting,
 > if terrifying, that most of the "violence heros" in movies are portrayed
 > as asexual robots.

I couldn't have said it better!
And this is not only valid for America, but for Europe/Germay as well.

NB Would You believe that "Rambo ???" (the one set in Afghanistan) was
declared a "recommended film" by our former Secretary of the Interior
(Mr. Zimmermann of the CSU party)?

		Josef Moellers

	paper mail:			e-mail:
c/o Nixdorf Computer AG		USA:  uunet!linus!nixbur!mollers.pad
Abt. DU-SC 1			!USA: mcvax!unido!nixpbe!mollers.pad
Unterer Frankfurter Weg			Phone:
D-4790 Paderborn		(+49) 5251 104691
| "Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life.	|
|  Can You give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out	|
|  death in judgement"							|
|			Gandalf to Frodo in "The Fellowship of the Ring"|